Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

"Tennis elbow" from lettering?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Joe Morreale

"Tennis elbow" from lettering?

Post by Joe Morreale »

I'm a left handed signpainter. Started out in the mid 70s, using using a mahlstick, pretty much exclusively. Some time ago I got a case of tennis elbow so bad it needed a steroid shot. Six months later, elbow's fine.

Just for kicks I decided I'm not going to use a mahlstick on a 4x8 that had a lot of outlines and such. I used the hand over method just for a little bit. The rest just the pinky down method. It flared up the tennis elbow real bad. Has anybody else developed a similar injury from lettering? I'm wondering if using the mahlstick and the manner that my arm is bent could make the tendon susceptible to injury.

On anther note, adding to the conversation about pricing. I get very little work in my town. Most people want sticky letter signs. For the few who consider a painted sign, I price my work too cheap. It's close to what the vinyl guys want. I would rather get the pleasure of seeing my work around town rather on practice papers on my easel.
Robare M. Novou

Re: "Tennis elbow" from lettering?

Post by Robare M. Novou »

I believe that Gary Godby turned me on to this many years ago:

http://www.newchapter.com/zyflamend/zyf ... whole-body

I normally don't believe in these voodoo supplements...but this stuff works to relieve your tendinitis inflammation.

I have suggested it to others...and all with positive feedback to it's effectiveness.

It got rid of my sore sign writers elbow inflammation.
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Joe Morreale

Post by Joe Morreale »

I will give it a shot. My next step is another steroid shot. It disables my arm for over a week and hurts like ..
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

I've never had my elbow hurting, but there is that muscle down the side of the spine that a friend called "the truck lettering muscle". Too much continuous lettering and that will flare up big-time.
One other thought is about posture - are you keeping mostly balanced when you're working? I had a boss who warned me about that - when he started out he was keeping most of his weight on one foot, so one side was more stressed than the other. He knew it was a problem but couldn't break the habit.

What do tennis players do for physical therapy??
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Frank Smith

Post by Frank Smith »

Joe, one of the best things you can do is sign your work like other artists because you are one!