Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Spanjer Bros.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Laura Turner

Spanjer Bros.

Post by Laura Turner »

I have just joined this forum today since this is the only site where I have seen mention of Spanjer Bros. I live in NJ where I believe their factory was (or is still) located. I know the company is known for their wooden letters, but I believe I saw information in a post on this forum that they originally were in the furniture business, perhaps when they were located in Michigan. I have two wooden lounge chairs, the very low, folding type that were used to sit on the beach around the turn of the century. Each has a plaque on the back that reads "Spanjer Bros. Pats. Pending." I see that some members have old Spanjer catalogues and I wondered if anyone might have seen a photo of chairs of this type in the catalogues and/or can give me any information or leads to information about these chairs. Thank you very much in advance for any help on these lovely old sand chairs (which are in surprisingly good condition, probably because they haven't been used in generations!)
Lee Littlewood

Re: Spanjer Bros.

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Hmm. It makes sense that Spanjer might make furniture - they show elaborate A-boards and some cabinets for signs - but I don't remember seeing anything like chairs or tables in their old catalogs. Of course those were Sign Catalogs, so there may well have been a different division with its own catalogs.

Good hunting,

lee littlewood