Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Help finding someone to teach me more

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jonathan

Help finding someone to teach me more

Post by Jonathan »

Hello all, my name is Jonathan and I am 100% new to this site and hand lettering and sign painting. I have found and read a tremendous amount of the old books and watched, what I feel like, is every video I can find relating to this. I tend to dive in and follow the wormholes of info when it comes to subjects I'm interested in. I have learned a tremendous amount but I feel like I'm lacking the things I need from a teacher. And this is where my dilemma produces itself. I am struggling to locate a traditional sign painter or hand letterer close to me. I live in Galveston Tx. and I realize that I'm asking a lot but please know I've tried like heck to locate someone to teach me or let me apprentice down here. Soooooo long story short, if anyone can point me in the right direction of a teacher or some kind of online academy/course, I would be very grateful. Books have only taken me so far and I'm hungry for more!!!! I do not have the funds to travel and cannot go away for a week at a time. I'm fighting a lot against me on learning but I want and need more knowledge and am reaching out and rambling like a crazy person.

Thanks in advance
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Help finding someone to teach me more

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Jonathan,
There are quite a few hand lettering workshops going on these days. You should just try and track one down that is best for you and get a start and avoid learning some bad habits that will be harder to shake later. You might have to make an investment in this.
I know Mike Meyer(USA) and Dave Kynaston (Wales UK) are both competent and travel around doing this. Facebook is where I see the latest info on them.