Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Window Sign Writing Paints

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jaysen Bird

Window Sign Writing Paints

Post by Jaysen Bird »

Hello. I am 'newbie' here and am excited to be part of this forum!
I just bought some Sherwin Williams 'Color To go' interior latex satin samples, they had a great price of $5 and change for a quart!

My question is: Can this interior paint be used for exterior window sign writing?

I always use an exterior flat white latex paint as primer on all my exterior window signage for both exterior and acrylic (fluorescent) paints.

Thank you for any response, and I will humbly bow and be on my way if you tell me to not be so cheap and just get the EXTERIOR paint!

Also: is there a way to make the existing interior paint into EXTERIOR, without breaking the bank? Dumb questions, but maybe someone else can relate.

Thank you!

J Bird
Alex Sheldon

Re: Window Sign Writing Paints

Post by Alex Sheldon »

I've only tried 1shot and Japan colors on glass.

I've read that it's always better to use quality paints as there are finer pigments that lend to better coverage, color, and longevity of how long the sign will last. That being said, I've never tried cheaper interior or exterior house paints available at big box stores for commercial use.

Have you considered painting in reverse on the inside? That may be a good work around with the paint you have purchased.
Jaysen Bird

Post by Jaysen Bird »

Thank you Alex! very helpful information. i was watching some on line videos of window sign writing and even tho they were working on outside windows, in 2 videos he suggests he is using INTERIOR paint, and explained that it most likely wasn't going to get wet. Another option he mentioned was clear coating it.
i think next time i will not be so cheap and just get the exterior paint, haha! you get what you pay for!
i did some test samples on a pane of my own glass and it's holding up remarkable well, but i notice it is not the same as exterior.
Thanks so much for your response and advice!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Jaysen. It would be great to do a test before working on the whole project with a material that may or may not hold up. Try testing with tape to see if it comes off...etc etc. My experience with latex paint is limited BUT I would find it difficult to imagine anything water based being as good as 1-shot or japan colours. They are rich in pigment rather than tinted with the alcohol based tints used for most everything else. That'll be why painting red on white requires so many coats. Good luck with this and let us know how you make out.
Lorenzo Petersson

Post by Lorenzo Petersson »

I agree with Dougs advice, test it first a couple of times!

I've tried one brand of latex artist color (Flash or Flashe i think) and while its pretty good for lettering on glossy paper it was not good for glass.
The paint crept back together into streaky beads not even half a second after it left the brush!
The glass wasn't squeaky clean but i think the biggest issue was there wasn't enough grip to overcome the paints own surface tension.

Also do a separate test over the latex with the clearcoat if you're planning to seal it after, if it's too strong it might start to pull and peel the latex under it when it starts to dry.

Call me a pessimist but my advice is to never - ever - bank on ideas like "it probably won't get wet in the rain", that is just inviting Murphy's Law to manifest itself :)