Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Deep etching of glass

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Vitaly Naumov

Deep etching of glass

Post by Vitaly Naumov »

Hello everybody!
Who knows how to make a deep etching of glass? Looking at the pictures it is done without mica, as the texture is smooth.
Attachments
14446135_1786716104943560_8194237750601502096_n.jpg
14446135_1786716104943560_8194237750601502096_n.jpg (54.7 KiB) Viewed 3721 times
Terry Westlin

Re: Deep etching of glass

Post by Terry Westlin »

Vitaly I am certainly no sign expert but I do a fair amount of etched glass and this can easily be done sand carving.

Looking at the elements on either side of the T looks sand carved to me.
Terry
vance galliher

Re: Deep etching of glass

Post by vance galliher »

there is etching and there is carving and I would say deep carved as well, this is not an etched piece, and from the "look" of the t, a nice blast. the leaf color on the unpainted part of the o looks different than the unpainted gild on the back (?) is it ?
vitaly, after rereading your post, you mentioned..."smooth" texture (?). I think anything you do to glass with pressure and grit leaves a mark and
if blasted there is a texture, even mica would leave a texture...you can "clear" / soften the texture with a clearing agent such as frog juice
but it won't be "smooth"
perhaps I'm thinking of smooth as clear glass as in slumped .
let's see the front
--------------------------------------------
ps
did I just realize that this isn't you doing this panel vitaly...you're just asking how it's done, is that right ?
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com