Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

in the shop

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

in the shop

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just thought it was time to add a few photos of things in progress. I used my lathe and carved up these little finials or brackets over the Christmas holidays and then settled into the box which is actually a column to be used as a support for the earlier posted piece with the violin and harp. There are a few more although less complicated. I'll get some portfolio shots later but in all it has been a long project. Is sometimes hard to stay focused.
Attachments
image002.jpg
image002.jpg (290.07 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG (218.54 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
IMG_0982.JPG
IMG_0982.JPG (191.4 KiB) Viewed 3606 times
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: in the shop

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Doug,

Spectacular work! Ever consider doing it for a living? :)

'it has been a long project. Is sometimes hard to stay focused.' How long is the 'long project'?

I understand focus, or the lack thereof. Though my work is nothing like your craft, fortunately or not on larger jobs, the deadlines are so tight you get numb and push yourself to finish.

Towards the end, the light bulb comes on and you realize what an accomplishment you've made, with only a short time till it's out of the shop.

The beauty of work like this is you started with two things: a design in your head, and a pile of wood. Quite an accomplishment!

Again, very nice work! More photos please.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hey Danny. A pile of wood. ...it was that and had never thought of the whole process like that before. I actually started this last year when we redid all the signs for a pub in downtown Ottawa, (The Heart and Crown) which I started around St. Patricks Day and finished in June. There were a couple starts and stops as usual but it is the project mentioned in earlier post. This is sort of part two which I started over the Christmas season and will finish in a few weeks. Of course I had other jobs on the go thru the fall and early winter including a repaint of the attached as some turkey damaged it while working on the roof of building.
Attachments
image1.jpeg
image1.jpeg (133.31 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Here's a little more from this project. There is still a sanding and another coat of finish due on the weekend but there are 9 more columns to make and am pacing this. I should add that there will be 2 glass pieces to add to openings. My problem really is that my wife wants one now so she can properly lecture me from.
Attachments
image1 2.jpeg
image1 2.jpeg (214.43 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
image2.jpeg
image2.jpeg (264.21 KiB) Viewed 3515 times