Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Novice glass chipping (build chipping/drawing table)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Alfred de Goeij

Novice glass chipping (build chipping/drawing table)

Post by Alfred de Goeij »

Hello everybody,

I am from the Netherlands, and spend already a lot off hours on this forum.
My hobby is working with glass, and I begin with tiffany 30 y ago. After that I begin with fusing glass, and was always looking for new techniques on the internet.
Then i found the site of David Adrian Smith, (UK) and i was blowen away!
I was looking for weeks if there was a second-hand Spatzier Lathe on the internet, but to find that is very difficult.
Then I was thinking: you are going much to fast Freddy! You have to start at the beginning.
I found some pictures off work from Erik Winkler, and I like the gilded glass with some parts chipped! It is a beautiful effect.

I bought some chipping glass hide glue, at a store 100 km away. Also gelatine capsules, and one shot black paint, and gold leaf loose.

Meanwhile I get contact with Bruce Jacson (Australia) and he gived me a few good tips and internetadresses.

Finaly i could begin with testing with the glass chipping.

My first attempt to chip without using the lightbox.
drawing letter and plotted in aslanfoil
drawing letter and plotted in aslanfoil
lettera klein.jpg (86.36 KiB) Viewed 34348 times
IMG_2552.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 34351 times
The chipping was not completely, but i already liked the result for the first time.

Then i read something about humidity off the air on the forum. When the humidity is high the glue don't get his strenght to pull off the glass.

I decided to make my chipping/drawing table.
IMG_2569.jpg
IMG_2569.jpg (119.65 KiB) Viewed 34348 times
IMG_2573.jpg
IMG_2573.jpg (29.11 KiB) Viewed 34349 times
IMG_2576.jpg
IMG_2576.jpg (29.75 KiB) Viewed 34348 times

After that I begin with building the top-box and the lower-box to keep the heated (by the lamps) air inside.
IMG_2588.jpg
IMG_2588.jpg (63.98 KiB) Viewed 34343 times
After that I drilled several holes in the lower-box, to let heated air in.(from the central heating on the wall)
IMG_2589.jpg
IMG_2589.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 34350 times
My story is not ready yet, but i cannot upload more photos. I hope it can after I upload this part.

No, it is not possible to upload more photos. Do i have to make "Novice glass chipping 2"?
Last edited by Alfred de Goeij on Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Re: Novice glass chipping

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hi Alfred,

add to your original post. Go to the top of the page you posted on, select 'new reply' add your text and more photos. Add more as necessary.

What type of lights did you use, they look like LED's? I'm not sure if they put out any heat. Florescent lights are generally used, and put off about 100°, which is all that's needed.

Nice job for the first time. Use the 'search' tab at the top of the forum, you'll find considerable info on lights, glue chipping and many techniques related to glass work.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Alfred de Goeij

Danny Baronian wrote:Hi Alfred,

add to your original post. Go to the top of the page you posted on, select 'new reply' add your text and more photos. Add more as necessary.

What type of lights did you use, they look like LED's? I'm not sure if they put out any heat. Florescent lights are generally used, and put off about 100°, which is all that's needed.

Nice job for the first time. Use the 'search' tab at the top of the forum, you'll find considerable info on lights, glue chipping and many techniques related to glass work.

Danny

Thanks Danny, i can go on now. The lamps are ordinary 36 W.

Fred
Alfred de Goeij

After I drilled the 100mm holes in the lower-box, I made an slide to control the heated air from the central heating. During the test I see if it is useful or not. Sometimes here in Holland, whe hang a little porcelain pot filled with water against the CV, because the warmed air is very dry. For me it is a good thing now.
IMG_2609.jpg
IMG_2609.jpg (52.4 KiB) Viewed 34278 times
IMG_2610.jpg
IMG_2610.jpg (55.53 KiB) Viewed 34278 times
Next to the glass in the table I drilled 15mm holes (12 pcs between the lamps) so the warm air can reach the top-box where the glass is laying to chip.
IMG_2593.jpg
IMG_2593.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 34282 times
IMG_2594.jpg
IMG_2594.jpg (52.9 KiB) Viewed 34282 times
I think the table is ready to begin some testing. I orded a temparature/hygrometer to see and capture what is going on in the top-box.
IMG_2608.jpg
IMG_2608.jpg (57.86 KiB) Viewed 34277 times
I made the table on information here on the Hand Lettering Forum, and some tips from David Adrian Smith and I want to thank you all for that.
So finally i can begin to do some tests.

Fred
Alfred de Goeij

Re: Novice glass chipping (build chipping/drawing table)

To make some tests I used floatglass 3 mm and to mask the glass, sandblasting foil. The mask is not so important right now, its only for testing.

The chipping glue i bought a few weeks ago, says not how much grade it is. I understand it must be 165 gr., only the sticker says "chipping glue".
I know now by this forum that there are a lot of different hyde-glue's.
So i begin with some tests with the chipping glue i have now, but in the meanwhile while i must wait during the drying proces, I was searching in Holland and Europe to buy some things from the brand name Gilder's. This because I use the glass-chipping gide from Bruce Jacson in Australia.
I contacted him also, and I wanted to use the same Gilder's stuff, so when something go's wrong it is not by using other things.

I even call to the UK and US to get more information about the things I want. My account by PayPal was last used in 2004, and I have re-activated it for doing international paying.
Maybe there are other brand names for the things I nead, but for now iI keep it by Gilder's. I hope my order is coming soon. (the frightcost are almost the same as the costs for the materials!)
Alfred de Goeij

The first tests i made is on 3mm float-glass, and i taped it with sandblast-foil. Its only to seperate the lines. I used silicon-carbid 180, to 'frost" the glass.
I blast it in my cabinet for getting grip for the glue.
IMG_2798.JPG
IMG_2798.JPG (29.25 KiB) Viewed 34262 times
IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_2797.JPG (41.31 KiB) Viewed 34264 times
I was guessing about the temparature of the glue.
IMG_2619.jpg
IMG_2619.jpg (28.89 KiB) Viewed 34265 times
Hoping my glue-pot arrives soon.
IMG_2560.jpg
IMG_2560.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 34262 times
On this glassheet I did several methods to put on the glue. After that I put it in my kiln, that I normale use for fusing glass.
IMG_2561.jpg
IMG_2561.jpg (24.57 KiB) Viewed 34263 times
The temperature was 60 dgr C but it didn't work out. At that point I deside to make the chipping table.
Attachments
IMG_2563.jpg
IMG_2563.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 34258 times
Last edited by Alfred de Goeij on Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alfred de Goeij

In one of my tests, I let the glass heat up in the box while i was making the glue above the candlelight. When the glue was ready (I think) I put it on the glass and leave it in the box. The next day not everything was come of.
I think it was because after I put on the glue, I had to take it out of the box, and let it coole down. When it was coole down, then I did the edges with a sharp knife and put it back inside the box.
IMG_2630.jpg
IMG_2630.jpg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 34258 times
I put the sheet in a bag in the frezer and after 1 hour it almost fall off!
IMG_2637.jpg
IMG_2637.jpg (91.04 KiB) Viewed 34264 times
For test I let 1 block clear on the glass, to see wat happens with the glue. The glue get's no grip on the glass.
IMG_2615.jpg
IMG_2615.jpg (57.06 KiB) Viewed 34263 times
IMG_2621.jpg
IMG_2621.jpg (89.45 KiB) Viewed 34261 times
I also noted, that on the glass above I used a mix of 1 hyde glue/1 water.

Also make a test with 1 hyde glue/1 1/2 water, and then the profile is much smaller.
IMG_2642.jpg
IMG_2642.jpg (127.2 KiB) Viewed 34261 times
IMG_3365 kopie.jpg
IMG_3365 kopie.jpg (136.99 KiB) Viewed 34267 times
Yesterday evening I made a new test: 1/1 and first let it cool down before i put it in the box again. I look for a small moment so it didn't cool down to much and make a picture. While I am making the last messages i am hearing the glass popping sometimes!
IMG_2645.jpg
IMG_2645.jpg (47.44 KiB) Viewed 34263 times
On the right side is a peace of glass where two lines didn't chip at all. They where don by brush one time, and I brush them again and put them back in the box again, to see wat happening.

I hope that everybody understand my story, it was a lot of work (also voor google translate! haha)

Greatings,

Fred
The Netherlands.
Alfred de Goeij

It is very motivating that so many people respond on my story...................... :cry: , but oke, I show the result of the last test.
IMG_3369.JPG
IMG_3369.JPG (105.67 KiB) Viewed 34174 times
IMG_3370.JPG
IMG_3370.JPG (72.87 KiB) Viewed 34175 times
IMG_3374.JPG
IMG_3374.JPG (149.64 KiB) Viewed 34176 times
IMG_3373.JPG
IMG_3373.JPG (126.46 KiB) Viewed 34177 times

If there is anybody out there, how have advice or tips for me, please let me now. This is the first time i test with hide glue and I want to now if I am on the right track.

Greatings,

Fred
The Netherlands
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

You are depositing too much dried glue by volume on your glass. You might want to add just a bit more water to thin the mixture down a bit. When your glue curls off in a single long piece as seen in the photos it is a sign that you are applying the glue too thick. As you can see, there is a consistent margin of unchipped glass along the perimeter of the areas, AND it is rolling off in one solid thick strip. When chipping glue is laid too thick, it has no room for the formation of initial fissures that should begin to appear in the drying glue layer. Fissures must form to allow the glue to form some fracture lines WITHIN the glue area. Fissures are what allow the glue to fracture into "powerhouse" areas of segmented glue that will chip and fly away in random flakes. These types of flying flakes are what create the deeper and more brightly reflective chips that show so brightly when silver or gilded. You should do some experimenting in laying down thinner layers of glue to understand how it affects various types of glue chips. You should create an adjustable glue spreading tool and use it to test scrap pieces of glass. This will give you a much better idea of the nature of animal glue and how you can better control it's results. Also too, the steps of drying the glue, including letting it stand for several days before introducing heat to chip it can result in different chipping effects. Try seeing how little glue you can apply, and still get a fully chipped area. In your photos above, the "A" resembles more on the chips that I am referring to. The later long rolling glue chips suggest to much glue. I think you want to be in between those to results.
Alfred de Goeij

Thank you for your comments Pat. I also think that the temperature of the glue was not right. I was guessing about it.
A few days ago i recieved my order from the US included a gluepot with termostat.

So I picked a logo from my doughters waterpolo-club.

After frosted the patern in my sandblastcabine, I painted the patern extra with asfaltum, so the glue cannot pull the foil up when its drying.
Attachments
IMG_3406.jpg
IMG_3406.jpg (121.08 KiB) Viewed 33924 times
Alfred de Goeij

I put on the lights of my chippingbox and let it warm up the glass. In the meantime the gluepot warms up the glue.
The mix of the glue i did now by weight, and not by volume. I put on the glue with a squese botlle.
When I was ready with filling the patern, I shut of the lights in the shipbox, and wait till the other day.

The next day I see that the glue was starting to dry, and some parts beginning to chip.
My wife needed a new vacuumcleaner, so I take the hose and fabricate a small van to circulatie the warm (dry) air inside the box.
I put a cheap hygrometer inside, and as you see results: 10 % humidity and about 45 gr C.
Attachments
IMG_3391.jpg
IMG_3391.jpg (43.66 KiB) Viewed 33923 times
IMG_3433.jpg
IMG_3433.jpg (45.77 KiB) Viewed 33925 times
Alfred de Goeij

After 1 day more I open the box to see what the result was. I was forgotten to make pictures of it!!
I removed the foil and clean up the glass.
Attachments
IMG_3417.jpg
IMG_3417.jpg (98.55 KiB) Viewed 33924 times
IMG_3425.jpg
IMG_3425.jpg (65.09 KiB) Viewed 33923 times
Alfred de Goeij

Next stage: gold leaf.

After looking at the pannel for 20 min. ( I was nervous to start) I had no idee where to begin. You work from the bottom and go up, or from the top down?
It is diffycult in one hand the tip with the goldleaf, and the other hand the brush with the gelatine water. But I started to try.
Attachments
IMG_3432.jpg
IMG_3432.jpg (89.17 KiB) Viewed 33923 times
IMG_3431.jpg
IMG_3431.jpg (108.16 KiB) Viewed 33922 times
Alfred de Goeij

It was for the first time difficult to het the goldleafs on the glass. It looks easy but I have 23 krt gold, and when let it stick on the brush (goldtip) it wrinkels before I put it one the glass. Oké, when it dry, the most of it is away, but i don't liked it.
Is there a big differance between the quality between the goldleafs?
Then I see that the glass is not cleaned enough, before I started. I can see it when I gilded the middle section.
But I like the result for the first time. And I know now what is important, so I learn a little bit more!
IMG_3467.JPG
IMG_3467.JPG (197.56 KiB) Viewed 33783 times
Attachments
IMG_3469 kopie.jpg
IMG_3469 kopie.jpg (108.52 KiB) Viewed 33783 times
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Good to see the progressive steps in your learning process. I think the 180 grit abrasive is a bit too fine for glue chipping. It does not fracture the surface of the glass as well as 100 or 120 grit will. They also give a rougher surface for the glue to bond to. The courser the grit that you sand blast with, the brighter the areas between the glue chips will be, and reflect the gold better than if blasted with 180 grit of finer. If you have time, do a little experiment in blasting with a course grit on a sample glass, and blast another sample glass with your 180 grit. Then gold leaf the two samples and you will see that the fine grit gild is dull and muddy, while the courser grit is brighter with tiny brightly gilded chips among the blasting. I discovered this difference when I was restoring antique glue chipped glass signs and noticed that the gilded glue chipping had many tiny bright reflections in amongst the larger gilded glue chips.
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Also, I noticed that there is still a lot of remaining sand blast in your designs that did not chip. The glue lost it's grip on that glass because it was not fully dry. Sometimes this is caused by force drying the glue too rapidly which dries the top of the glue before the bottom fully dries to the blasted surface. You really want nearly all of that area to fully chip. These unchipped areas suggest that the glue in contact with the glass was not as dry as it could have been when you moved the glass into your heating device. If you could let that glue dry for another day without force, more invisible water will evaporate and the glue will be fully adhered tightly when it begins to shrink and pull the glass chips away.
Alfred de Goeij

Hello readers,

I see that it is almost 1 year ago that I post this story. But I can say that I spend almost every free hours on searching, reading, and testing all kind of things.
I wanted to make now a serious peace of work so 4 months ago I purchased a peace of glass 600*800 mm.
Also I was busy with my Spatzier (the other story of me on this forum) and I have now some wheels for cutting the glass.
Next time I cut the figures I want in the glass first, because when it go wrong, the glass is ruined and all the work is for nothing.
I spend 4 books 23 krt gold leaf for the chipped glass.
IMG_3906 kopieklein.jpg
IMG_3906 kopieklein.jpg (125.68 KiB) Viewed 32642 times
It was the first time I used a very sharp knife to remove the foil, and i make some scratches. Is there a way to get them out, or make them less visible?

Now comes the funny part: I still have no subject for the project haha but that will come I think.
Is there anybody here ho can help me on a link for a colour scheme off one shot paints? I mean what colours matching together. I have seen it somewhere but I cannot find it anymore on the internet.
Alfred de Goeij

Hello everybody,

I finally found a topic for the screen. So I tried different gilding procedure to see what is the effect.
It is not 100% perfect but I am proud and glad it is finish. The difficult part was to make the punkties because I did it at last.
Maybe some people say to much black but that are the colours from the company.
autoslob.jpg
autoslob.jpg (180.51 KiB) Viewed 31761 times

I found a picture frame with a mirror and removed the mirror and make it fit for my panel. I do the colours the same way as the panel.
IMG_4081.jpg
IMG_4081.jpg (240.16 KiB) Viewed 31761 times
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

well, in my book, you are no longer a NOVICE !!!
wow - your glass work is Extraordinarily AWESOME !!
Thank You for taking the time to share your journey.
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA ~ 1980-2008 (Retired)
Alfred de Goeij

Hello readers,
Last year my table was used a lot for fire painting. Perfect for tracing lines on the glass from an underlying drawing.
IMG_4557 kopie.jpg
IMG_4557 kopie.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 28423 times
IMG_4620 kopie.jpg
IMG_4620 kopie.jpg (45.5 KiB) Viewed 28423 times

Now I have started again with a test together with my Spatzier, and chipping glass. It was a nice sound to hear the glass jump under the lid of the table!
IMG_4730 kopie.jpg
IMG_4730 kopie.jpg (120.77 KiB) Viewed 28423 times
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Nice