Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lithochrome paint

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Terry Westlin

Lithochrome paint

Post by Terry Westlin »

Not really a hand lettering question but I know some on here do engraving but maybe not much in rock and pavers.

I have talked with several on this and no one has any suggestions so I am asking here.

I am re painting a bunch of engraved pavers on a project I am taking over. I generally engrave pavers and spray lithochrome with the mask still on but there are about 150 in this project that the paint is gone.

I have been plugging away with a little brush to keep things going and doing experimenting here at home. I can load a syringe with a pinched end and that helps but the paint still flows out faster than I can control and that paint just wicks up into the pavers where not wanted.

Is there anything out there that I could possibly thicken the paint up with? It is a solvent/resin/ pigment recipe (acetone, keytone and other solvents)

Thank you for any tips.

Terry
Terry
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Lithochrome paint

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Thats a tough one...I think there's 2 solutions and none are all that easy. I'd try switching to some of the new urethane paints I've been seeing the pin strippers use or try sealing the project first with some sort of sealant like fibroseal that was recommended to me by Rick Glawson some years ago for preparing the surface for gilding. Hope that helps a little
Terry Westlin

Re: Lithochrome paint

Post by Terry Westlin »

Doug thank you for responding.

Lithocrome is more of a resin paint that wicks into the pours of stone. I have tried rubbing potato both warm and frozen over the pavers and that helped some but when any chunks went into the letters then it took as much time to clean as it did to just paint with a little brush.

My (sort of) fix is to crimp a tiny brush tip to a syringe and that seems to slow the flow enough to not drip all over. If there are drips in areas that should not have paint it is tough to clean it up as it wicks into the pours.

My big test is on Monday to put it to real engraved pavers not just scrap.

I know not many on this site do engraved pavers and you are the first on any forum I am a member of to even offer a suggestion so thank you very much.

On a side note, you do some beautiful work and thank you for posting some of your projects here.
Terry