Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Sign Tip--Snap Lines

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Sign Tip--Snap Lines

Post by Mike Jackson »

Old Forum Post by Mike Jackson on Oct. 31, 2001

Mike Jackson:
Back before we had those bulky carpenter's snap lines, most sign painters carried around a small chunk of chalk and a spool of fine "rope" or even thread. For gilding, the fine line leaves less excess chalk residue. For most doors, the line only had to be about three foot long, and many sign painters had one cut and rolled up in their sign kit. Darla and I purchased Steven Parrish's kit(s) from his estate a long time ago, and sure enough, he had a couple of colors of chalk and a roll of kite string in the boxes. You can also use the small chalkboard chalk sticks or the sidewalk chalk sticks in the same way.
Rick Sacks:
I learned the method of holding the thread in two hands drawn taught wrapped around my little fingers and snapping with the left thumb and index finger. Mike, did you do that with the right hand? We also often used a string stretched across a yardstick making a bow. Charcoal the string and snap it. Also, the bow could be bent to differing arcs and used to scribe arcs on small signs and trucks and patterns.
Mike Jackson to Rick Sacks:
Hi Rick,
Yep, I always did the "snap" with my right hand. It seems like I held the string pressed against the surface with my middle finger, but any of the remaining three would work fine. I never had to make a bow. Some old timers had a little nail at one end, which was bent to the shape of a U for snapping a longer panel
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons