Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Desperate for info!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Christopher Trenary

Desperate for info!

Post by Christopher Trenary »

I posted here before about my earlier attempts at water gilding and they helped me out a lot, so that you so much for that.

My newest problem seems to be something I can't find any information about why it's happening, how it's happening or how to fix it. I did a window sign and overnight small air bubbles started forming in the gold, the back up black and 1 shot enamel. I waited a day to see if things would even out or settle and more bubbles formed. I'm kind of at a loss of what to do, I'm starting to come to the realization that I'm going to have to re-do the signage, but I'm very worried about it happening again and blowing another couple hundred dollars on leaf.

I don't know if anyone here has experienced this, but I'm literally confounded.
Attachments
FullSizeRender(31).jpg
FullSizeRender(31).jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
FullSizeRender(30).jpg
FullSizeRender(30).jpg (66.51 KiB) Viewed 4402 times
Chris Rummell

Re: Desperate for info!

Post by Chris Rummell »

There have been several threads about this topic. If you haven't already, try the forum search feature with your keywords. Here is a link to one that consolidates a few into a single thread.

https://handletteringforum.com/forum ... ld+bubbles

To me It looks like maybe 2 things happening: the first pic looks like you got water size dripping onto the laid gold, pooling up and causing it to release from the glass. The second picture is more what is described by others as probably gas bubbles trapped under a skinned-over backup.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Chris, The first thing I would question is how well you scrubbed the glass before beginning your project? No telling what kind of silicones, oils, and chemicals are in over the counter cleaners, like Windex. In the old days, Bon-Ami might have been enough, but I wonder if a quick rub with acetone and industrial alcohol wouldn't be a good idea prior to the Bon-Ami step? Just suggestions to consider. MJ
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Rich Hawthorne

Post by Rich Hawthorne »

Better yet, try a cerium oxide paste and scrub the gilding surface with it. IMO that will work as well or better than Bon Ami - I still use BA though!

Otherwise, it is likely that there is some vapor trapped under the backup which is trying to release to the surface and is blocked by the backup. Hence, the bubbles as outgassing occurs.