Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Tinting Epoxy

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Chris Rummell

Tinting Epoxy

Post by Chris Rummell »

I've been researching a durable adhesive for smalt and have found lots of conflicting information. Some recommend Smith's Cream, however it's been pointed out to me that Smith's is more of a paint extender suitable for blending/mixing, and that it is likely to fail outdoors. Hold Fast glue is recommended by some folks, but I can't find a source for it, so not sure if it's still out there somewhere. Epoxy is mentioned in some threads here, though I wondered about compromising the integrity by adding in One Shot to match a color of smalt.

As it turns out, the folks at West System did some tests (including One Shot enamel, Ronan Japans, and others), see the results at http://www.westsystem.com/ss/adding-pigments-to-epoxy/.
The takeaway seems to be adding 5% or less of the tints they tested doesn't significantly alter the properties of their epoxy. I'd be interested to hear what other folks have found in their experiences.
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Tinting Epoxy

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I've tinted the west system often and for what you want to do wouldn't hesitate to add more colour if necessary. However....hold fast is the right product for this and in Canada you can get it at Canadian Signcrafters in Bayfield Ontario