Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Spatzier

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Alfred de Goeij

Spatzier

Post by Alfred de Goeij »

Look what I found!!!

I am not ready to start with this machine, but I buyed the thing! I started to shape it up.
IMG_3448.JPG
IMG_3448.JPG (179.5 KiB) Viewed 178099 times
IMG_3478 kopie.jpg
IMG_3478 kopie.jpg (160.31 KiB) Viewed 178099 times
I am going to primer it and make it green again. I have contact with Merker in Germany to get the right spindle.

Greatings,

Alfred
Attachments
IMG_3482.JPG
IMG_3482.JPG (77.43 KiB) Viewed 178099 times
pat mackle

Re: Spatzier

Post by pat mackle »

Nice find. There are a few people on Facebook that really know a lot about these engraving lathes. You should search for "Jim Riser" on Facebook. He lives in Arizona and is a talented glass engraver and machinist. He is very knowledgeable and he has followers who are also finding these lathes to restore and learn their proper use.
Alfred de Goeij

I cleaned the Spatzier in and out. All the boults are replaced for new ones. There was a lot of slurry in the reservoirs to remove. I think it is years ago the machine was open, to look at the oil!
The spindle I polished by hand. I only don't know if the oil must be special? Or can I use synthetic motor oil? I think I send a E-mail to the man, Pat saying in his replay. Thank you for that Pat, I already found his site and looked very good at the pictures.
IMG_3487 kopie.jpg
IMG_3487 kopie.jpg (165.6 KiB) Viewed 178037 times
Now I am going to think about the table where i am going to put the machine on.
Attachments
IMG_3490 kopie.jpg
IMG_3490 kopie.jpg (120.83 KiB) Viewed 178037 times
pat mackle

Re: Spatzier oil

Post by pat mackle »

Hi,
Use a "non detergent oil" in your Spatzier. According to Jim Riser, detergent oils allow debris and dirt to be suspended in the oil, while non detergent oils allow dirts to sink. This is probably why you discovered so much sediment and sludge in the bottom of the bearing cups.
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Also, this is a nice lathe, but it is mostly for doing light weight engraving work on glass art and glassware. It is not intended to turn the larger stone wheels used for Brilliant Cutting as that seen done on large glass panels by DAVE SMITH in Torquey UK. But it can still do some nice cutting on a smaller scale that will teach you the skills of glass cutting. Anything you learn on this smaller lathe, will benefit you when you proceed to a larger cutting lathe.
Alfred de Goeij

Thanks Pat for responding.
It is almost 2 months ago I begin with the Spatzier. I took a long time to figure out what wheels I can use on the smaller machine, and what different spindles I need. The spindles for this machine are mk2 so they can handle some bigger wheels, but not too big. So I can use the Spatzier for (smaller) cutting work, and for engraving!
Today I received a E-mail that the 2 new spindles I ordered are ready in a short time from now. They advised me to use stone wheels max 100 mm on this machine, and I am going to try Polpur wheels, they are a lot lighter. I found also 15 used stone wheels, with a small diameter, to see what the result is.
So I have now 3 spindles: one with a sharp point for wheels whit led, one with 2 flenses (diamond wheels), and one with screw dread . So I can use several kind off wheels. I understand I cannot do the same things as David make, but I love his work and thats why I am trying now.
1 year ago I never seen such work from anybody, so all is new for me! I try to stop to invest in materials, and save some money to go to England and follow the lessons by David.
When I received the spindles and the wheels, I show the pictures here.
Alfred de Goeij

Last week I recieved my spindels from Merker, and start to put the lathe on the table with the motor.
spindles.jpg
spindles.jpg (121.57 KiB) Viewed 177812 times
I made a quick set-up of it, and make it running so I can count the rpm of the different sizes of the trapezium pully and motor.

Next week I am going to make the box behind the wheel to catch the water that is going to fly away from the wheel.
Attachments
spindwhee.jpg
spindwhee.jpg (182.2 KiB) Viewed 177812 times
quick setup.jpg
quick setup.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 177812 times
Terry Westlin

Post by Terry Westlin »

Alfred thank you for posting your project and the progress.

I also love the work and looking forward to seeing some of your projects once your up and running.
Terry
Alfred de Goeij

Here I am again,

It took me a lot of time to figure out what the speed of the wheel is, with the different pulleys on the motor and Spatzier, but I think I find it.
I also build a watertowerbox to cachs the splashing water from the wheel. I get it out of the book from Merker and was thinking that it was to big. For now I use a little pump, and circulate the water so I can finaly try the first time. The tower is not to big because the water splashing up to 3/4 of the size!
sp met tower.jpg
sp met tower.jpg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 177717 times
It took a few minutes to get the wheel straight running. I need to give little hits (when I stopped it!) against it and look if it's in line.

For the moment I have only 3mm glass, but I want to try!

So here is my first cutting. ( And I love it hahaha)
Maybe there is somebody out there, who can give me some advice for practising figures, or other advices.

Greatings,

Alfred
Attachments
sterretje.jpg
sterretje.jpg (312.63 KiB) Viewed 177717 times
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

wow - very impressive !!
I love to see old equipment and tools used in our modern world.
good work !! I can imagine you working at the Waterford Crystal Co. in no time.
good luck with your new find. pay very close attention to the bearings in the Spatzier.
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA ~ 1980-2008 (Retired)
Alfred de Goeij

It was very difficult to make the punkties on the right place! But it worked with the Spatzier.
IMG_4052.jpg
IMG_4052.jpg (828.83 KiB) Viewed 176601 times
Attachments
IMG_4081.jpg
IMG_4081.jpg (240.16 KiB) Viewed 176601 times
IMG_4077.jpg
IMG_4077.jpg (791.54 KiB) Viewed 176601 times
021E5EDC-B4AA-414B-A066-5A8AB5EF9CD4.jpg
021E5EDC-B4AA-414B-A066-5A8AB5EF9CD4.jpg (751.07 KiB) Viewed 176601 times
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Nice work Alfred. What is the size of the glass from the last post?

Restoration of the Spatzier is impressive too.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Alfred de Goeij

Hi Danny,

The panel is 75 cm * 100 cm, and I think I deliver it next week to the man of the company. I am curious what his reaction is!

greetings

Alfred
Alfred de Goeij

Hello readers,
last year I have been busy with fire painting and stained glass.
I chose a drawing from the 16th century, and had to learn all the principles again. It was fun to do, but my preference is gilding and chipping.
Schermafbeelding 2019-12-22 om 17.16.02.png
Schermafbeelding 2019-12-22 om 17.16.02.png (244.26 KiB) Viewed 173950 times

So I prepared my Spatzier again and started practicing again.
IMG_4731 kopieklein.jpg
IMG_4731 kopieklein.jpg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 173950 times
Most of the time is spent polishing the leaves and circles.

greatings,

Alfred
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

That looks great! Now that people are locked down to avoid Covid19 maybe you will have more "free time" to work on it and post pictures?
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Lee Littlewood wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:23 am That looks great! Now that people are locked down to avoid Covid19 maybe you will have more "free time" to work on it and post pictures?
Seconded, I would like to see how hes getting on 5 months on.
Alfred de Goeij

OK guys, here some photo's off my last panel. It is from a footballclub here in the Netherlands. It is for my son: he's a big fan.
The panel is 50 *60 cm. Beside it, is the practice-panel.
Attachments
IMG_4766.jpeg
IMG_4766.jpeg (50.86 KiB) Viewed 170448 times
IMG_4775.jpg
IMG_4775.jpg (113.21 KiB) Viewed 170448 times
IMG_4880 kopie.jpg
IMG_4880 kopie.jpg (131.63 KiB) Viewed 170448 times
IMG_4908 kopie.jpg
IMG_4908 kopie.jpg (185.6 KiB) Viewed 170448 times
IMG_4927.jpg
IMG_4927.jpg (209.55 KiB) Viewed 170448 times
IMG_4977.jpg
IMG_4977.jpg (155.57 KiB) Viewed 170448 times
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Looking good.
Thanks for sharing.
Alex Sheldon

Post by Alex Sheldon »

Thanks for sharing Alfred! Seeing your posts have been extremely helpful and inspiring and I encourage you to keep sharing your work, which is amazing by the way! I especially like your idea to use a suction lifter as a counter balance and would be interested in seeing more photos of this to see how you rigged it.

I've been fascinated with brilliant cutting and I starting the process of building a collection of cutting, pre-polishing and polishing wheels so I can get into brilliant cutting and have a Covington glass lathe coming soon.

Finding cutting wheels has been tougher than I imagined it would be. Covington seems to be the only one selling stones for glass that I can find here. Carborundum doesn't seem to manufacture cutting wheels for glass anymore. I managed to get a small collection of Silicon carbide wheels from Covington, but am still trying to source some aluminum oxide wheels. I'd be interested to know if you have found any sources for cutting stones.

Can I inquire about the title of the Merker book you are referencing/reading? On the subject of books– here's a few books on brilliant cutting I've been reading and found extremely helpful to learn about the processes:
Glass Engraving With Grindstones by Robert Smith
How to Work in Beveled Glass by Anita Isenberg
Decorative Glass Processes by Arthur Louis Duthie
Glass Beveling by Vincent Fox
Techniques of Glass Engraving by Jonathan Matcham and Peter Dreiser (small but good section about brilliant cutting)