Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

damar embossing

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

damar embossing

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Was at a small heads meet at Phil Ghi's in March and made an interesting discovery. I had used embossing damar before and had usually left it over night to flash off and then gild with water. It so happened that there was a year between this process this time and instead of getting the usual semi gloss finish it was as bright as the outlines. To late smart....and just as I'm about to retire! You'll have to forgive the shaky outlines etc as it was at a letterheads meet with everything that is.
Attachments
e-IMG_1486.jpg
e-IMG_1486.jpg (183.69 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
IMG_1488.JPG
IMG_1488.JPG (586.25 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
Tyler Tim

Re: damar embossing

Post by Tyler Tim »

So you left the darmar to cure for a year.... and it gilt like glass. Cool.
Is the bevel real or painted shading? The dots... mica powder?

Either way good looking piece. :wink:
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Tyler....the dots are Mother of Pearl, the edge is actually bevelled glass. The part I was most curious about was what is the actual time required for the embossing to cure so you can get the bright water gild after? We know a year works ;=)
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

I had the same after about 6 months. The damar/res'ngel mix was embossed and then forgotten. When I remembered it I did a white gold water gild and it was like mirror on ripple glass. The gold was pretty shiny on both sides.
where am i? Now, when i need me...