Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

does size matter ?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Craig Leslie

does size matter ?

Post by Craig Leslie »

hello to everyone.....I have recently started glue chipping and reverse gilding and thanks to the advice given to me from the kind members of this forum I have started to achieve some very satisfying results on larger areas of glass but I have tried three times to chip some letters that have a stroke half an inch in width and a height of four inches...on each occasion the result has been a very weak chip that is practically non existent...the last time I tried I left the glue to cure naturally for two a half days before putting the glass in the chipping box but the glue delaminated leaving the sandblasted letters virtually unchipped.....is there a size that is too small to chip effectively or am I messing up somewhere ? I would be very grateful for any insights.....regards ....craig leslie
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: does size matter ?

Post by Mike Jackson »

Craig,
You should be able to chip small areas with no problems...easily down to area as small as your fingernails.

This page might help:
http://theletterheads.com/2014/04/18/gl ... formation/
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Craig Leslie

Post by Craig Leslie »

thank you mike...I appreciate any and all advice or information that is given....I know that if I persevere then one day I will gain some understanding ... if it will help I will try and post some pictures....regards... craig
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

When chipping fine/small areas, it is best to put the glue down thinly, otherwise it is too thick to fracture into nice segments. Instead the glue layer has too much strength due to its excess thickness and will pop off like a larger unitized "potato chip" of glue. In fine areas you want the glue to first "segment" with drying lines forming, then tinier individual chips will pop off. Individual chips are more eye catching and bright, than one continuous band of glue curling off, which tends to leave more frosted/unchipped glass as well.
Craig Leslie

Post by Craig Leslie »

thank you pat....I regard your opinions on glue chipping very highly and value your advice very much...after reading this I think I might be guilty of applying the glue too thickly....I will give your suggestions a go and see what happens....regards....ctaig leslie
pat mackle

Post by pat mackle »

Here is a good thing to try. Sand blast some glass, and experiment with depositing measured thicknesses of wet glue. See how thin you can get it, and still have it chip the glass. You will find that the dried glue layer can be so thin that you can see the sand blasted glass finish actually appear in the surface of the dried glue AND THAT the thin glue will STILL have the power to chip up the glass. And it is with these tests that you will learn how the glue must chip to result in those nice bright segmented chips that really "POP" when they are mirrored or gilded. Hide glue can either "tear off the glass" leaving a grainy semi dull chip, or it "really pop and fly" leaving the more desirable deeper swirl polished chips we all strive for. Applying glue too thickly is a waste and impedes the glue ability to initially dry into fissured "gator skin" segments which help create tightly nested brighter chips.
Craig Leslie

Post by Craig Leslie »

thank you once again pat....I will follow up on your suggestions and try to post some pictures of the " new and improved " chip pattern :D