Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Metal Tuchfarber & Co. sign

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

Metal Tuchfarber & Co. sign

Post by William Holohan »

Old Forum Posts: on July 01, 2003

Steve: Kinsey
Posted by Steve Kinsey on July 01, 19103 at 19:01:54:
Tod Swormstedt sent me here and said you might be able to help me. I have this sign that I've had all my life actually. I was wondering if you knew anything about it. It was made by "The F. Tuchfarber & Co. - Cin, O.", and there is no date on it. It says "Deane Bros. & Lincoln -- Chicago" "Agents for the Celebrated Jupiter Canned Goods." It has a picture of Jupiter sitting on some clouds with lightning bolts in his hands. It is a metal sign, Iron maybe? It is bare silverish metal with black lettering and artwork. I guess it measures about 25" long by 13" high.

I guess what I want to know is it's approximate age and anything else you could tell me about it's makers and if the Lincoln in the advertising firm was related to Abe. I can't find anything about a Jupiter Canned Goods company either. I've read a little about Tuchfarber and that has me intrigued.

Thanks!
Barry Travis

Re: Metal Tuchfarber & Co. sign

Post by Barry Travis »

The Tuchfarber Company was established by Frank Tuchfarber in 1881 and was located in Cincinnati, OH. At the time Tuchfarber Co. was well known for making detailed lithographs on both paper, metal,glass and they also made manufactured enamel iron show cards. Eventually they changed the name of the business to F. Tuchfarber. They had a process of varnishing metal with a gold or silver coating that really popped the lettering off the surface.

I absolutely LOVE the look and aesthetic of Tuchfarber signs-if you get a chance,send me an image to oldbeer@gmail.com. I'd love to see it.

Thanks-Barry
Barry Travis
St. Paul,MN
"Old beer,cold beer-I love em' both!"
http://www.ibuyoldbeer.com/