Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

1 Shot on finished / oiled wood

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ren Hoek

1 Shot on finished / oiled wood

Post by Ren Hoek »

Hi everybody =)

I am Ren, a graphic designer from Berlin. I m new to this forum and also quite new to sign painting. So i hope my question is not too nooby..

I got my 1st can of One Shot and want to paint on finished wood. For the wood i want to use, i usually got very good finishing results with a mixture of bee-wax and lanolin (wax of sheep wool).

But now I noticed on the can the instruction to clean any surfaces from wax. So, this will probably not work?

Now i m not sure, if oiled and polished wood could also cause problems..? Does anyone have any experience with any kind of finished wood to share?

It would take quite a while to treat and let dry the wood to find out myself, so I decided to ask the Internet.

Thanks and have a great day!
Doug Bernhardt

Re: 1 Shot on finished / oiled wood

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Ren....this is not a good idea. With 1-shot I expect you will want a hard dry (varnished?) surface. I would definitely take a small sample and try anything you're thinking of using first. I have done exterior wood finishing many hundreds of times and wouldn't dream of doing this. Firstly the wax will never allow the 1-shot to dry. You can't even use wax paper cups.