Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Razor blade holders

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Deadman’s hand

Razor blade holders

Post by Deadman’s hand »

Where can I get some.
Alex Sheldon

Re: Razor blade holders

Post by Alex Sheldon »

I'm assuming you are looking for that Grifhold razor holder mentioned in LeBlanc's book that holds full razroblades that is no longer available.

Tim Tyler is selling his own version of these old Grifhold holders... and they are really nice. Aluminum construction and they hold blades without any modifications needed. I think they were $20/ea if I recall. They are good for trimming larger lettering, but I found the handle to be quite thick and awkward for precision work. DM Tim for details viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3579&p=20084&hilit= ... der#p20084

I use a tool called a "jewelers hand vise". They are a bit heavier in construction with jaws that tighten with a wing nut. The jaws on these open wide enough to hold sections of comb for tooling designs into dammar varnish. These are a bit to clunky for trimming lettering, but I suppose with some practice and dexterity, it could be a go-to tool for that purpose.

For precision work, "Astra" brand razors make for great edge cleanup because they are extremely thin and can easily flex when needed. They are so thin that they can also be safely snapped in half by hand so you never need to carry pliers in the kit. They are also double sided, so a box of 100 will last years. Most hobby knives by General, X-Acto or Grifhold that are designed for hobby blades will accept these thinner full and half blades and hold them tight.

I'd be interested to hear what other folks are using for trimming too.
Chris Rummell

Re: Razor blade holders

Post by Chris Rummell »

Excellent info, the jeweler's hand vice looks like a good solution. For precision work I've had decent success with a pair of locking surgical forceps with snapped down razor blades, 1/4" or less.