Hello from Arizona and I will open with a question

An interactive section of TheLetterheads.com

Topics include: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Off Topic Posts may be deleted at the discretion of the web hosts. ABSOLUTELY NO SHARING OF COPYRIGHTED FONTS, CLIP ART, or VIDEOS!

Please take social chit-chat elsewhere!

Moderators: Danny Baronian, Mike Jackson

Alex Boriqua

Hello from Arizona and I will open with a question

Post by Alex Boriqua » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Good Day everyone
I am very much looking forward to reading each and every post! I am a graduate of the School of Visual Arts and spent some 15 years in the design adn production of large scale displays and exhibits for museums, sets, retail environments and trade shows. I was mostly a maker of things and not a painter but have recently taken up a brush again now that I am semi retired.

I am just blown away by the old signs and some can still be spotted here in Arizona and want to try my hand at making them.

My first questions is so basic it hurts to ask. I searched the forum but couldnt find a direct answer and I have spent hours doing general internet searches to no avail.

When looked at lettering tools on the Mack site and from some other manufacturers they have "Lettering Brushes" and a separate category for "Lettering Quills"

The videos I have watched where people painted in a style I would like to emulate were using Quills but .... Being a curious guy ... what is the difference between a "lettering Brush" and a "lettering Quill"
Alex

Andrew Lawrence

Re: Hello from Arizona and I will open with a question

Post by Andrew Lawrence » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:09 am

Same difference essentially, but not really.

Brushes are anything with a stick and hair. Quills are a specific type of brush, just like a shader or a liner or a flat are types of brushes.

Quills typically have a setting of hair that is stuck in a round natural ferrule (although not always)- they pallet out to either a chisel edge or a pointed edge (less common for sign brushes). Get a good beginners sign painting book and it will have all this information in it.

Alex Boriqua

Post by Alex Boriqua » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:02 am

Thank you for your response! I would love recomendations for a good beginners sign painting book. Boy do I miss book stores with actual paper books!!

Alex Sheldon

Post by Alex Sheldon » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:07 pm

I'd recommend picking up Sign Painting Techniques by Ralph Gregory. It's a great book, easy to find a used copy, and goes over the fundamental letter styles.