Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Seaside signpainting - océan and salt effects

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Pierre Raveleau

Seaside signpainting - océan and salt effects

Post by Pierre Raveleau »

Hi Everyone,

I am going to signpaint the front of a café soon. It will be the first time for me in another city, and this one is special because on the coast. I talked to a building painter there who was surprised that i often use only one coat for signpainting. He told me the front of the café is exposed to salty winds, and advised two coats.
Have anyone of you ever had longevity issue with oneshot enamel on a seaside ?
Thank you very much :D
Andrew Lawrence

Re: Seaside signpainting - océan and salt effects

Post by Andrew Lawrence »

The Building painter said that because every house painter does two coats. They have to because their paint doesn't have the opacity to cover in one coat. If you get full coverage with one coat, just do one coat. You'll have to redo it eventually as all paint fades, cracks and eventually goes down hill.
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

The only color I regularly double coated is red as it oxidizes/fades faster then other colors. I've have sign painted with One Shot or Ronan Bulletin colors on the lake in a resort area keep well for 10- 15 plus years before needing repainted.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Pierre Raveleau

Thanks for your answers. 10years covering is good. I guess a lake is a little différent though. Have you ever done some signs on the ocean ?
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Weather is weather... we all deal with environment factors... sure my lake resorts signs did not see salt spray from the sea... sign faced harsh temperature swings from 90/100 summer to minus 30 driving winds off the lake road salt and plow wash in the winter.

Are you painted on tin/metal... if so perp for it... wood prep that... window work inside or out you do the appropriate prep work. Then use the best materials you have accesses to and just get at it.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Pierre Raveleau

It is a wood panel. Thanks for your answer.