Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

mother of pearl

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

mother of pearl

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

It's been a while for me but has anyone had trouble ordering Mother of Pearl as of late? A friend of mine thats a luthier informed me there is none available anymore for "green" reasons I think he mentioned. I'd like to hear anything more about this
Andrew Lawrence

Re: mother of pearl

Post by Andrew Lawrence »

Try Morning Calm - you can find it on Etsy and on Ebay. Pretty good quality

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MorningCalmStore
Alex Sheldon

Post by Alex Sheldon »

I've ordered from Morning Calm, and received well packaged and good quality shell.

Aqua Blue Maui sells abalone and seem to have a wide variety of abalone with veneers over them to get intense and vibrant colors. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried Aqua Blue Maui and see some examples of the veneers in use.

AQUA BLUE MAUI, LLC
5805 Lower Kula Road
Kula HI 96790 USA
Phone/fax 1-808-876-0217
E-mail – aquablue@maui.net
www.aquabluemaui.com
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

...and if you order, maybe ask them nicely if they are 'sustainable'. A lot of ocean resources are being used up; I don't know if collecting shells can be done slowly enough to leave the population stable AND make money. On the other hand, the beaches in New Zealand were just littered with lovely Paua shells, so those might be already dead when they are worked on.
where am i? Now, when i need me...