Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Rick's Collection and the ASM

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

Rick's Collection and the ASM

Post by William Holohan »

Old Forum Posts: on June 23, 2003

-Tod Swormstedt

Ricks Collection and the American Sign Museum
Many were aware that had Rick Glawson had his wish, his personal collection would have been donated to the American Sign Museum. But also as most everyone knows, that is not going to happen. I thought I should update all on what is happening (and I invite e-mail and phone calls: 800-925-1110, ext 336) . . .
I have sent a check for $1800 to Paul Glawson to purchase the notebook of glass plates of George Brooke per an earlier agreement with Paul. Because we are concentrating our available funds on the building of the display for the Museum’s new site, we have very little—if any—money available to purchase the remaining Rawson & Evans pieces that Rick’s family is holding for us. More than several individuals have sent donations to the Museum in Rick’s name. Collections have also been taken up at recent Letterhead meets and a group donation made in Rick’s name. But we are far from having collected the money needed to acquire the Rawson & Evans collection. For that, we would need in in excess of $10,000. I’m just stating the hard facts.
I can say that in many cases, those who have had the least to give—like the small shops that make up the Letterhead movement—have given more proportionately than those of the electric sign industry at-large. But if there is an interest to preserve the bit of Rick’s collection and memory that remains, the Rawson & Evans collection is it. I’d welcome ideas on how to raise the money—and of course, donations as well. Again, call me at the number above or e-mail me. Thanks to all.

Carol
Todd,
This suggestion won’t help secure the funds needed for the purchase of the R & E collection, but it could prevent this same thing happening in the future.
How about the Sign Museum drawing up forms that could be made available to us all stating our wishes of what to do with our own collections, ie, donate to the Sign Museum or give them first right of refusal. We all have small or large collections, even if it is only our own Letterhead projects. The forms could be in duplicate, one to be returned to the Sign Museum and one kept with our own papers. So even if someone were remiss in making a will this one document would show our intent.
just an idea,
C.
Tod Swormstedt
Good idea. I think it’s going to be something like a miniature will. I’ll get on it . . . and hold me to having something back to you within the month.