Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

2 Bill Boley showcards

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

2 Bill Boley showcards

Post by William Holohan »

Old Forum Posts: on July 13, 2003

Mike Jackson

Here are two showcards from a 1950 Signs of the Times. It relates to the "Layout Rules" post from a week or so ago. Lots of negative space in these, too. Bill Boley undoubtedly influenced Don Sturdivant and later Mike Stevens.

Too bad they weren't in color, but this is much better than nothin'!

Mike
Raymond Chapman
Bill Boley had a correspondence course sometime in the 60's but it never really took off. I had the materials from the course and loaned them to someone and never got them back. Today, if you ask to borrow something I'm a little more hesitant to see things go out the door.

I'm old enough to remember those show cards he did in ST in the 50's. Of course, I was very young at the time.
Rick Sacks
A few weeks ago I needed my BIG bolt cutters and they were not on their hook. I could not for the life of me remember who I loaned them to. I borrowed a tool to do that job. Saturday, someone approached me saying that he had them in his storage building, and that I had left them in the bushes while completing his job.

Hope you find your Bill Boley!

Oh, I remember getting a note from Mike Stevens talking about him wanting to put together a monthly journal, and wondering if I would risk fronting some money for a subscription. Those journals became his book
Raymond Chapman
Yes, I have all of those journals together in a binder. What a treat it was to get those in the mail. I was even fortunate enough to be in one of them.
Kent Smith
I have the letter from Mike stashed with all the copies of the journal.

I like the cards in black and white, much like the Martin book because it allows you to imagine many more combinations. Great to see them again.

I have the letter from Mike stashed with all the copies of the journal.

I like the cards in black and white, much like the Martin book because it allows you to imagine many more combinations. Great to see them again.