Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

aging a new wall job

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

aging a new wall job

Post by William Holohan »

Old Forum Posts: on July 12, 2003

John Parker
I need some advice on how I can "age" a sign painted on a brick wall. I used Gary Anderson's paint so all is acrylic latex. The sign,(3' x 30')is painted on an interior brick wall of a condominium. The original sign was painted on the exterior of this same wall so the owner decided to keep the original look but as a piece of art. (This condo is reeeeeally nice so I don't think sandblasting is in the running). Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John
Danny Busselle
Sure No porblem first how far do you want to go 10 yrs to 50rs or more..at the studio we several different types of materials. first is materials http://www.markspaint.com/ y6ou will need a Chapen Sprayer a small 2 gallon with the full handle sprayer mounted. Just spent $200.00 + Need 3 empty 5 gallon Buckets, and 5 or more pounds of Iron Sulfate and pro-line Raw umber pro-line Burnt Umber so your going to mix 1 1/2 table spoons of the pro-line umbers in each Bucket ONLY FILL BUCKET to first line or RIB all three now put in 11/2 Meausering Cups of the IRON SULFATE Stir and Mix Throughly Take Wet Cheese Cloth place over opening in Chapin Bug Sprayer fill but not to top leave some room for air pressure. pump sprayer 15 to 20 pump will do fine. start on top and watch as it turns old right before your eyes, If to dark Wash off and start over. this will look like Mother Nature did it. take a look at the lower area of building and you will see thet when it RAINS the water Hits the Ground and Bounce back up with dirt and fertalizer in it for that Natural ADGE. as far as sealing it theres choices FIRST Get this done Need Help contact me and I will give you my Phone # Cool you got the recipe
Rick Sacks
Danny, I never heard anyone say this publicly! This has been a studio secret for several generations. But why the cheese cloth?
Nanny Busselle
Cheese Cloth Is to Strain the mixed Iron Sulfate You must keep stiring it or it will clmup up like a dirt cloug. My spelling is very Hit and Miss
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

I know it might be hindsite but why didn't the sign get paint "AGED" in the first place?It could have been "DRY BRUSHED" to start off with and then over glazed if needed.
If you look on our web site www.ghosttownsign.com ,Go to the knott's berry farm page and you see before and after pictures of the repainting of Ghosttown.The whole thing was sprayed with iron sulfite .Then the signs were Dry brushed to look 100 years old.
I would love to see photos of the job.
Thank Roderick
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Sorry.To veiw the photos of the repainting of Knott's go to www.studiozerosigns.com and go to the amusment parks page.
Thanks for posting the iron sulfite tecnique,It's one of my favorites.