Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glue Applicator

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

Glue Applicator

Post by William Holohan »

OLD FORUM POST

Posted by John Grenier on July 09, 2003
Well, finally after 11 years we are making glue chipped glass signs.
Question: for applying the glue with a squeezy bottle what is the best source for the bottle, thought I might try the local pharmacy and the grocery. I thought a veterinarian syringe might work. We are 37 miles from the nearest stop light so keep that in mind.
Thanks
John
Mike Jackson

This type of bottle is what you are needing. We use the 1 or 4 oz versions, depending on how big the glass piece is. We can heat them in a microwave for quick hot glue. The place below sells them by the dozen. You might check with www.letterheadsignsupply.com to see if Ron has them individually.

Also, we used to have a printer that had refillable color cartridges. The refill kits had small bottles with a nice little nozzle similar to the ones above. They worked great, too, but they had metal tips that had to be removed when heating the glue.

Good luck,
Mike
Robare M. Novou
I am wondering about the difference between heating the glue in a microwave, which works well for me, and heating the glue in a glue pot, which I have never done. I would like to know if one way is better than the other, I am refering to the glue. Is nuked glue better than pot heated glue?

RMN
Mike Jackson
I could never tell the difference either way.

I suppose you could over heat the glue in a microwave, which wouldn't happen in a commercial glue pot, but even then I know we superheated some glue and it chipped fine.

Mike Jackson
Raymond Chapman
Mike, would these bottles work with the epoxy resins like PB Resin to apply to HDU and such? Presently we are using the mustard and catshup squeeze bottle like you see in diners. We get those at Wal Mart for about 50 cents apiece.