Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Window>window splash

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

Window>window splash

Post by William Holohan »

OLD FORUM POST

Posted by Bill Masters on July 08, 2003
I have to paint a window splash,what paint is everyone using,and where can i get it.thanks Bill.

Chuck Davis
I used to use a fluorescent water-based paint made by "Day-Glo". Ordway Sign Supply here in California used to sell it. The trick is to lay down a solid white base using latex house paint (don't use gloss or it will never dry) and don't skimp... get a good 10 or 12 year paint. The more opaque the white base, the brighter your colors will be. After it dries, roll on the fluorescent colors on top (using 3" Sureline rollers). Finally, cut it all out with a big black outline. Some guys use foam brushes for the black outline, but I always preferred sable/synthetic brushes for outlining.

Nowdays, some are switching to an oil-based paint, since it last longer (important out here in California where the sun always beats down). It is harder to remove though. It is also made by Day-Glo. Contact Ordway at: http://www.signsupply.com
(800) 967-3929
John Grenier
When I was in LA I did quite a few for a while. I found that the interior white Ceiling paint had the most pigment for the base color and is easy to remove latter. Remember that the white outline around everything makes the splash work, leave enough white for that outline too, saves a step.

Foam brushes (the kind with wood handles) and 3" rollers are your friends. I never had much success with fitches. I also remember using a foam corner roller that was quite good for making very nice long thin lines.

Flourescent acrylics were pretty easy to find.

I hope I havn't stated too much of the obvious.

Spashes are fun and always lead to another.
I had a dozen Toco Bell stores for a while.

John
Timi NC
Usually I just paint a latex white base this time of year Bill, and then use one shot flourescents.In colder weather I use poster paint as it will dry fast in inclement weather.