Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gold size longevity

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

Gold size longevity

Post by William Holohan »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Larry White on July 02, 2003
Once again I reached for my One Shot Gold Size to find it had gelled in the can, this has also happened with my LeFranc quick and slow size. Anyone haave any tips on increasing these products shelf life?

Thanks, Larry
D. Bernhardt
Hi again Larry....Tony and Rixx
With respect to the various methods mentioned the issue remains getting the oxygen out of the can. Varnisnes for what ever reason absorb or ,oxygenate, which unlike paint skinning over they turn to gell. Slow size of course will do this slower but of course quick size like the 1shot much quicker. This is not a save-all solution but at my shop we put it in those quick sqeeze bottles and store it up-side-down. It skins over on the top and is no probs for the liquid portion on bottom until close to the end!As for the can...breath a heavy breath into it and quick close the thing!!!! most of the oxygen has been replaced by someones beer breath and there is no possibility of anything exisiting in this oxygen depleted space!!

Tony Segale
Larry,

I can't remember who told this tip, I think it was Jim Imgram......
I buy the smaller size, say half pint, and pour it into individual empty 35mm film canisters. The only one to skin over is the one I currently use. Once opened, as well as the full canisters, I store upside down so if it does skin, it's at the upside-down-bottom (is that even a word?).
I am going to try the carbon dioxide trick, thanks Danny.
Gilding class next weekend in San Francisco, July 12 and 13, verre' emgloise ( I think that's how it's spelled) If you can make, great. If not, I'll give you a call and check out your glass pieces.

Tony
Rick Sacks
What is the gilding class? Who? Where? When? Why?
Barbara Schilling
Yes,
Use it up faster :)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I have a 10 year old quart can of LeFranc slow size that only has about 1.5 inches left. I have not had gelling problems, just a little lumpy. I always clean the screw top and lid with thinner before replacing the cap. I strain the size after mixing with chrome yellow.

I am going to try Danny B's Carbon dioxide trick though!
Rick Sacks
I have some old cans of varnish that are close to 50 years old and remain in working condition. I have others that have those screw on caps that I'll need to cut the cans in half to remove the skin to strain the varnish out. Sometimes they get beyound just poking with a sharp object.Sometimes the breath trick doesn't work also. I don't know of any sure thing. Perhaps something injected from an aerosol can?
Danny Busselle
Hi the whole Idea Here is to remove OXYGEN The cause for the stuff drying. Well I have had very good luck with carbon dioxide but the day will come that I can no longer do that So I have tried, Whip Cream Canisters. AKA NITROS QXIDE I had refrained from saying anything about this since the Obiviouis. This also works under pressure much better. I picked up canister holder at hobby shop for rocket car. I press the small stem into top let happen had to make relif opening #60 hole. so try this Rick
Danny Busselle
YES... Take a Straw and Blow Into Can opening til you feel the Carbon Dixoide Comming Out. Replace oxygen With Carbon Dixoide. Yes Folks It works, i Have a Steady Supply of carbon dixoide,But No Oxygen..Ha Ha