Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Production of Glue Chip Samples...

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Larry White

Production of Glue Chip Samples...

Post by Larry White »

We're in the process of creating some double glue chipping samples. This sheet will be cut up into 8" squares each with a 1/2" clear border around the glue chipped field. I layed it out with strips of 1" vinyl tape, sandblasted it, flowed the glue over the whole thing, then when gelled, cut the glue at the tape edge and removed the tape. After it is done chipping, the tape is reapplied, and a secnd run of glue is poured over the entire piece. It's then recut and weeded. It's now in our semi-deluxe walk-in glue chipping booth. I've heated it up to about 80 degrees (F) using an oil heater and a Coleman catalytic heater I purchased off ebay. On a previous run, I had the panel in the booth with just the oil heater going and not much was happening. When I fired up the Coleman heater, it started chipping wildly. I recalled a conversation with Pat Mackle in which he described the process (R&E) in which they had an adjustable frame, covered by a tarp, place over the glass panels for chipping and would fire up a kerosene heater as a heat and dehumidifier source. I thought the next best thing might be one of these Coleman heaters. Seeing how it's burning gasoline, I figured it would dry out the booth also. I'll have to bring in my humidity gauge and check for sure. I'll report on that later. ...I like the Coleman heater, I think it works good... $24 off ebay.

This sheet was fully dry prior to putting it into the booth, it had just started to chip. It was put into the booth at 9:00AM, it is now completely done chipping, 2:00PM. :D
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Jeff Umsted

Post by Jeff Umsted »

Morning Larry!

Are all the "samples" the same? I mean were they all made at the same time? Or is each row different, like different humidity per row, different glue streangths per row, stuff like that?

Justa wondering
Jeff
Jeff Umsted
Lapeer, Michigan
Larry White

Answer to question...

Post by Larry White »

The glue was flowed over the whole sheet at once. I doubt the glass (48" x 50") was 100% perfectly level and that it didn't sag or bow resulting in the glue thickness varrying slightly across the sheet. The thinner the glue, the quicker it will dry and chip. It can also leave a different pattern. The stuff really kinda has a mind of it's own when chipping. In this round, the chipping started in the center closest to the heat source and radiated out from there. I've done sheets like these, with all the factors being the same, and have got different patterns out of the same sheet. This run happens to be double chipped and when it's done twice, they start all looking more similiar.
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Hey Larry,
I'm curious about the purpose of these samples.
Are you doing a whole bunch of the same thing to be able to give to potential clients or do you plan to do differnt kinds of treatments on each 8" square one you've finished chipping them?
Or is it experimentation for your own purposes?
Dan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

glass

Post by Mike Jackson »

We did a piece similar to this one a long time ago when we were having problems with "plinking". Our glue was chipping a bit too strong and taking away some of the clear where is shouldn't. I don't remember if it was Rick or someone else, but we heard you could add glycerin to the glue to relax it, but they didn't know how much to suggest.

Our test had some vertical stripes in each section to highlight the plinking effects. In the first row, we used straight glue. In the second we added 5 drops of glycerin per square foot, third row had 10 drops, fourth had 15, 20 and lastly 25.

The test gave us a fairly objective evaluation.

People just starting out might do a similar project panel trying out a few different glues, glue/water ratios, application methods and so forth. If all the glue was applied basically within a half hour you'd have a good piece to evaluate all the results. The temperature and humidity would be the same on all the results.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Larry White

Samples...

Post by Larry White »

This sheet will be diced up into 8" x 8" samples to be handed out as architectural samples and as samples we give out from our showroom.