Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Surface gilding on wood

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Surface gilding on wood

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Robert Beverly on July 27, 2003
I have a question regarding the gilding of a previously finished surface with a wax on top of that.

I am thinking the area to be gilded should be stripped and then the gold applied.

Is that a consensus here?...if so what would you strip it with and your findings?

Thanks
Jeffrey P. Lang
Robert,
I would try & remove the wax.
Automotive finishes supply stores sell wax & silicone remover, I also use alcohol. For stubborn wax, ammonia will do the trick.
Good luck,
Jeff
D. Bernhardt
Yuppers...got to get rid of the wax. Paint thinner would also do the trick if all that is on there is wax....but Jeff,s solution is bang on! I,d also give it a good wash with soap and water before hand...just to get rid of all the dirt.
Robert Beverly
Jeff, Doug

That was my take on it and I appreciate y'all's confirmation of the facts.

THANKS!