Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lettering Books

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Lettering Books

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Alf Toy on July 20, 2003
Can anyone suggest a good hand lettering book for a newbie.
Rick Sacks
One of the things I like about the old Speedball books is that they show the stroke sequence. I don't know of any that explicitly tell you where to look and what to be looking at when pulling the stroke. It sure was easier to learn in a shop with other guys all taking turns giving pointers to the apprentice.
Mike Jackson

I created a page or two on this site which shows basic strokes. This one is FREE and immediate!

You can find Mike Steven's Mastering Layout book quite easily. Well worth the investment...though he doesn't really concentrate on the actual hand lettering strokes as much as you might need.

http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/lettering.html

Mike Jackson
Larry White
I've found some nice old sign painting and lettering books at abebooks.com, the selection can be staggering.

Alf Toy
Thanks guys,

Just ordered 3 books from abebooks

Biegeleisen, Jacob I. - The ABC of Lettering
BOLEY, BILL. - BASIKS OF LETTERING
Gregory, Ralph. - SIGN PAINTING TECHNIQUES:
Billy Bob
The "Speedball" pen nib catalogs will have what you'll need to emulate. The "Mastering Layout" book by Mike Stevens will have all the "rules'.

Hunt for old lettering books at vintage bookstores. There are many (old) good ones w. instructions on how to stroke a letter.

Otherwise, hunt down an old (or young!) sign painter and beg 'em to show you what to do. And practice, alot, everyday.