Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Backing paint....has anyone tried this...?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Backing paint....has anyone tried this...?

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Andrew Duncan on August 13, 2003
I was reading some old text on water gilding...and it says they used to use the neon sign black-out for the backing paint....was wondering if this was a good idea or not, or if anyone has tried it and what did they get for results....just thinking of new ideas since we lost the esoteric backing paint...a link to the web page for stazon blackout...

http://www.fmsneon.com/stazon.htm
Kent Smith
When KingKole was no longer available, many guys were looking for alternatives. Japans overall were not readily available in the west in 1980 when Art Sarti rewrote THE BOOK. He added in the use of Stazon because that was all he was aware of as a substitute when you needed a fast dry. Unfortunately, I did not delete it from the 3rd edition entirely but added the warnings about durability etc. I covered this issue in long form in ST Magazine in 1984 but no one seems to remember. I suggest that everyone take their old text and draw a line through the reference as it is a very poor substitute for good backing paint.
Raymond Chapman
That's one of the things from the "good old days" that you certainly don't want to go back to. It was gummy, ruined your brushes, and was more frustrating than it was worth.
Rick Sacks
With Sta-zon came their thinner and the retarder that made it tollerable. It was good for real quickie jobs like when we needed to change a number on bank hours or their assets. It dried in minutes. It was also very brittle and chipped easily when cleaning. The preferred products were KingKole and rubbing varnish.
Ron Percell
Sta-zon was a little bit like working with drying contact cement, didnt have a happy in between, too much thinner and it was like dirt in water.
Mike Jackson
A couple of things related to your post:

1> Stazon, used for backing up gold, will make you want to quit making signs. I was lousy to paint with, dried in the brush, and didn't do a good job of holding the gold.

2> The exact product Rick sold as Fine Gold Back Up is still available. It is made by the company that used to make the old Dekor gloss ink, only with a new name. The ink is called Sericol (Fast Dry Enamel or FDE) and it is available in a bunch of colors, not just black. Rick added a few drops of orange scent, but it is really just FDE.

A link to the product is available on the page linked below. Ron Percell is probably repackaging it in smaller quantities than gallons. Try www.letterheadsignsupply.com

Hope that helps!
Mike Jackson

Mike Jackson
Danny Busselle
stazon blackout ...what a bad joke that is Peroid?