Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

A real hand painted sign

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

A real hand painted sign

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on August 12, 2003

Hi all,
The new owner of Jackson Hole Whitewater brought in an old sign painted by Phil Baux quite a few years ago. Quite a few of Phil's signs were scattered around town when we first moved here in 1986. He died not too long after we arrived.

The owner wanted a real hand painted sign to replace the weather worn one that had been at their business for all these years. Darla made a pounce pattern of the old one, then hand lettered the new one, with all its little quirks.

Just thought you might want to see one.

Mike Jackson

Rick Sacks
I'm in a town in North Carolina helping my son get set up in college. Yesterday we visited numerous sign shops in hope of lining up some work for Jake. Amazingly, there are two out of a dozen shops that have any brushes. One guy only does a quick casual letter, the other follows computer layout patterns and said, "look at this one, it looks as good as vinyl!" I almost became wordless. As he told me no one pays for hand lettering anymore, I expressed some Mike Jackson wisdom to him and pointed to his portfolio displaying nothing but vinyl. Good day.
Kent Smith
It is nice to keep the quirks too.
Raymond Chapman
I've noticed in your posts it is always "And Darla did this or Darla lettered that". What is it that you do?
Kent Smith
Fishin' ?
Mike Jackson
Hey, I represent that remark! Fish when possible--work when it is too windy.

Since Raymond asked, I cut the sign panel to shape and rounded the corners. I also had to touch up a few scuffs from setting it up against the wall (out of the way waiting for the customer to pick it up) caused by an errant skateboard in the garage.

Right now, I am trying to make sure we have all the necessary updates on all the computers to protect us from the worm virus. This one is a WIN94 SE machince, which seems to be immune from all I can tell.

I need to find out more on the Win200 Pro machine. They are talking about needing Firewall software.

Actually, tomorrow we are going to paint one of those "how much does it cost" projects for SignCraft. I'll have to work some.

Mike
Raymond Chapman
"I'll have to work some" Poor baby.

"We" are going to paint...I think I can already see the scenerio. Just kidding. I know how hard you work.

And, by the way, Mike - it has been 106 here in Texas for the past three days. Just thought you would like to know to remind you of the good old days.
Jon Androsky
Jobs like that just make me smile. I love it.