Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Hand Lettering Class

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Hand Lettering Class

Post by Site Man »

Old Forum Posts

Posted by Raymond Chapman on August 05, 2003
Several people have contacted me about learning hand lettering and if there was a course available in the Texas area. As far as I know there isn't.

Soooo...on November 7-8 I am conducting a no frills get together for hand lettering. Those that are in the area (or out of the area for that matter) can come and receive the basics about hand lettering and have a few days to practice. If you already know how to hand letter you are invited too - you can help someone else. Along the way I will give a short course in layout and design....along with whatever anyone else wants to do

This is a no frills deal. No meals (you're on your own), no T-shirt (unless you make it), no door prizes...just a few days of painting.

This weekend will mark the 20th anniversary of the first Letterhead meeting in Texas which I hosted back when I was with Belco Signs in Harker Heights. Mike Jackson was there, along with a bunch of other folks. I thought about 25 would come and we had around a hundred.

No fee - I'll have a coffee can on the counter if you would like to donate anything. I'll supply the coffee and do-nuts.

Temple, Texas - Central Texas on Interstate 35 about 70 miles north of Austin. Kinda looks like Jackson Hole, Wyoming without the mountains and all those trees, snow, and rivers. We do have dirt, though.

Mike Jackson
Hi Raymond,
Sounds like fun! I'd like to come down again for the "anniversary". Lynn Rogers came with me last time.

Not many people get to actually watch someone hand letter any more, much less get hands-on training, so your two day even should be a benefit to all that attend.

Keep up the good work!

Mike Jackson
Raymond Chapman
Mike - I had forgotten that you came down with Lynn. He lettered a fire truck that weekend for one of our volunteer departments. Were they ever proud of that vehicle! I gave them the names and address of everyone that worked on it and they sent each one a Thank You note.

And also, Mike, you are more than welcome to come down in November. It will probably be down in the mid 90's by then.

One of my favorite Lynn stories involves a Letterhead gathering where I had a hotel room all to myself, but then Lynn showed up with no where to stay, so he bunked with me. The first night I called back to check in with Jeanne (my wife) and told her that I had a room mate named Lynn. Her quick reaction was, "Let me talk to Lynn". She thought it was a woman.

Mike Jackson also has a way of finding someone with a room and will whine long enough to be asked to stay. I think that has happened to me a few times. One of these days I will show up on his door step and redeem all of my coupons. Oops, come to think of it, I've stayed in his home free of charge a lot more than he has shared a hotel room with me. Mike, I guess I owe you instead of the other way around.

I have some videos of that meet 20 years ago, so I'll break them out and see how young everyone looked way back then.

That was also the first meet Alton Gillespie attended.
Mike Jackson
Raymond,
We did show up to a few meetings without a room reserved (usually a spur of the moment decision based on whether I had enough of my customer's jobs far enough to leave them a few days). Thanks for the rooms when that happened! Are you and Jeanne still coming up here this fall? We have a space for you, as always.

I think I did my first Glue Chip "class" at your shop at that meet. I know I gave the class anyway..almost had to be the first one.

We were working on a group of 4 x 4 MDO signs this morning in the garage. Darla was complaining about it being too cold. It warmed up some since, but still quite pleasant here in the mountains.

Mike