Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

The last of the lead is gone-

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

The last of the lead is gone-

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Ron Percell on September 08, 2003
Well for those of you who havent heard, as of September 1st, One Shot, a Spraylat Company, will no longer be producing any products with lead.

The remaining inventory will continue to be sold until gone. Only a few of the colors like the reds & yellows still contained lead.
Kent Smith
Actually all of the paint manufacturers have been soft lead free since 1991 as mandated by the EPA. Soft leads are the ones that are water and blood soluable such as white lead, red lead oxide, litharge etc. They recently only have the hard leads such as chromium lead oxide in the enamels and have been exempted as professional artist applications. If they are promoting it now, that probably means that they feel that most of their back inventories including those of small volume distributors have been essentiallly depleted. I don't know the current position of the EPA on the hard lead pigments so that might also be at issue. During my last year with AKZO they were concerned as a deep pocket corp. that they should remove all leads to avoid expensive lawsuits on a small volume product line. Spraylat may have some of the same concerns.
Danny Busselle
We all knew, It's the when. Now I wonder how the new stuff will work. there's always RONAN and DANA Mix I Know that works but never tested it over 3 years.
Robare M. Novou

In Reply to: Last of the Lead is Gone posted by Ron Percell on September 08, 19103 at 16:11:25:
Several years ago, I worked at a Stained Glass Studio that did restorations and new commissions for churches and other commercial and private concerns. (check out conradschmitt.com) Due to the presence of lead in the came and in the paint used for the painting of stained glass, we periodically had to be tested for lead in our bodies. Having been a sign maker using one shot and other lead based paints for more than 20 years prior to the stained glass job, I had never been tested. So I always wondered about what my exposure to those paints amounted to....I got tested...and the results were .02, thats extremly low. Its as if I had never come near lead my whole life. Working with the other stained glass artisians, I was told of their levels... from .20 to .90, which is extremly high. the high level artisians were relieved of working around know sources of lead until thier levels came down. Thier is some type of medication that one takes to remove the lead from thier body. I can't remember the name of it, maybe one of you knows it. I recently visited a stained glass artist in the area, his level was way up and he had to stop working and take the medication until his levels came down. He complained about this being his third time. He asked me what I thought about it, I told him its because his shop is filthy...very dusty(Lead Dust). And that he needed to clean it up or else he would be breathing in airborn lead dust particles, and his levels would never come down.

I always worked in a clean enviroment...so I guess thats the secret to not getting lead poisining.

RMN
Mike Jackson
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the note. We all knew that was coming...just a matter of time. A few years back, Darla and I headed back to Oklahoma for Christmas and we stopped in a small "Swiss" tourist town in Nebraska. I could probably look on a map and come up with the name, but it really doesn't matter. There was a shop there that made little wooden horse good luck charms. Actually some were quite large. You could look through a doorway to see the wood working shop and paint area. Sure enough, they were painting the horses with red and yellow One-Shot. I was whispering to Darla that the guy could get into real trouble if the EPA knew he was using the lead based paint on items to be held and played with by children. After Sept. 1 and his supply is gone, I guess he will be legal.

Mike