Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

UV Flat Clearcoating

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

UV Flat Clearcoating

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Robare M. Novou on September 04, 2003
I loved using Danacolors "UV Flat Plastic Coat Clear" on my painting mdo boards as the final coat. I see that Danacolors has discontinued the flat plastic coat, I think they still sell the gloss plastic coat. But I want the flat! Can anyone out there tell me or suggest what I should use or do in regards to this.

Thanks

RMN
Rick Sacks
The problem I remember with that Dana product was that it redisolved into a gooey mess if touched by a solvent.
Bill Blumberg
I also loved Dana colors uv flat clear BUT I've had nothing but trouble with it after about a year it checks, flakes and wreaks my signs I used it for a long time but no more. could be my location perhaps, I live on the oregon coast about a mile from the ocean. I clear coat most of my painted signs and I've moved strictly to "frog juice" the gloss be damned. Call superfrog and they'll you how to modify their product they're great folks to deal with.
D. Bernhardt
I've been using something called Clearstar for a year or so right now. Gives me just the right finish although it isn't "dead" flat. Leave it a day before installing although is touch dry in a half hour or so.
Barbara Schilling
At the Tomahawk Rendesvoux Letterheads last month, One Shot had a new waterborne UV Flat Clear. David Butler rolled it on his bulletin, which was to be installed indoors at eye level. Looked great.
Robare M. Novou
One Shot has a new flat uv clear!!? Thats Great!
I have access to one shot more easily than dana colors around this town. I will call one shot and locate some asap. Thanks for the info!

I have notice just the other day some of the signs I coated with the dana flat clear over 10 years ago, now showing signs of flaking. Very rare to see this as most of my signs outlast the business.

RMN