Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Industrial Strength Glue Gun

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Industrial Strength Glue Gun

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Larry White on August 27, 2003
Hey does anyone remember that industrial strength hot melt glue gun that Rick Glawson used to dam areas for solution gilding (of course you do)?

I've been looking around for one, but can't find one. Any suggestions on a source of supply for one of those bad boys?

Any rumors on the resurfacing of Rick Glawson's Angel Gilding Kits?

I took some artwork off some old victorian style trade cards and made them into signs. I put them up on my website.

http://www.walljewelry.com/trade.html
D. Bernhardt
Hi Larry...beautiful stuff on the web page...and ... fine web page too!!
As to the glue gun...hold on to your wallet. As i recall it was an expensive item. Looked into one a few years back as i use quite abit of it myself in the wood working. I believe it also only uses one particular type of glue and not the stiks available at the hardware store.

Image photo added Mar. 15, 2005
Mike Jackson
Larry,
It has been a long time since I bought my gun and glue. Seems like the glue was around $125 for a big box and the gun was around $100. The glue is amber color, with special ribs that let the gun grip it as you pull the trigger.

This is definitely not the normal craft store glue gun and glue.

Mike

D. Bernhardt
Hi again Goldie.....the price sounds REAL good to me. Any info on the manufacturer etc etc would be HUGELY appreciated! The one I looked at was closer to $600.
Mike Jackson
Hi Doug,
The information was in the other post I made. Here are the specifics. I don't remember the exact costs, but I am sure they will tell you.

3M Hot Glue Gun:
Available from Ellsworth Adhesives 714-259-8500
Poly Gun II TC Glue # 3747-TC-Q tan or #3747-8 Q #M 800-888-0698
Image photo added Mar. 15, 2005
Danny Baronian
Larry,

Rick's glue gun was made by 3M. You can order it through R.S. Hughes & Co. in Oakland.

Unless you plan on using it a lot, you might check if there's an intermediate gun. That one was made for heavy duty, continuos use.

Danny