Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Spinners for engine turning gold

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Spinners for engine turning gold

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Robin Sharrard on October 14, 2003
I would like to make a set of spinners for engine turning goldleaf. Would appreciate any guidence in terms of materials, most useful sizes, and technique. I understand the basic concept as described in the Gold Leaf Techniques 4th edition, and I've watched it done at several meets, and now I'd like to give it a try. Thanks...Robin
Danny Busselle
Why don't you just Buy them from Peter Sepp Gold Leaf products In New york.http://www.seppleaf.com/
You could also E-mail www.letterheadsignsupply.com the trouble to make them unless you have a machine shop is crazy. Mine are made out of aluminum billet stock then macihned to three different sizes, 1/2" - 1 1/2"-2"
these are just what the Doc. ordered.
Danny Baronian

Robin,
You'll find you're answer at the local Longs or Rite Aid, same thing Rick used.

In the foot care section they have a small beige battery powered thing that's for sanding the bottom of your feet. Rick took one of those, wrapped some material such as found on powder puffs, and your set to go.

As far as sized the last one I saw in his shop was about 3/4". You could go either way in size, it just depends on the size project and the look you want. No standard size to my knowledge.

As always, do a test piece first, and use a light touch.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Robin,

Should have added - the foot sander at the drug store looks like a minature right angle grinder.

Danny
Robin Sharrard
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out Rite-Aide, and give Ron Percell a call, I believe he is now the West Coast dealer for Sepp Leaf Products. I tried wrapping some cotton with velvet but was not able to maintain a consistent turn...guess it's like brush work...practice, practice, and practice some more. I realy appreciate the help...Robin
Robin Sharrard
I've checked out both Long's and Rite-Aide, as well as WalMart in my area with no joy, but I will keep looking when I get to RENO were the stores are much larger...sounds like one of those neat toys to have in your kit. Thanks...Robin... See you in Lodi
Mike Jackson
Robin,
You already know the general principle of the process...so you can buy the commercially made spinners or use your imagination! We often just used a new chamois, rolled or balled into the desired size. You might also buy a jumbo kids pencil with a large rubber eraser on the end. Put a new piece of velvet over it and tie it off with a rubber band. If that size fit your project, you would have a very effective cheap spinner. You could also cut the pencil off at about 1" from the eraser ferrule and drill out the lead, then replace it with a bolt of the appropriate size. Doug's thimble is of the same principle.

Mike Jackson
Lee Littlewood
...and of course you don't need much machinery to spin gold. My master Roy Darby said that the Seagraves firetrucks always had exceptional burling on their stripes, and one time he got talking to a salesman. Who said that when a new ruck was ready to gild, the painter bought a new pair of cotton gloves and spun the stripes with his fingers, wearing out the gloves in the process(!) Just beware of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Robin Sharrard
I would imagine you finger tips would get pretty sore as well. Thanks, I've got a couple pair of nice cotton gloves that came with the halogen bulbs for my exsposure table. I will have to give this a try. Robin
D. Bernhardt
I've always made my own. Used thimble from my wifes sewing kit,put a sponge from her kitchen sink (the kind that are always soft)and wrapped some jewellery box velvet around it with a stove bolt (put in at the very beginning)and attached it to my cordless. For most small jobs never even bothered with the drill. Just a quick half turn is all that is required and very little pressure. It of course goes without saying that a test piece sized and gilded at approx. the same time should be done if you are a virgin! ;=)
Robin Sharrard
I like your thimble idea! I'll give it a shot. What happened to your web site? I realy enjoyed studying the glass and wood pieces displayed there. Robin
D. Bernhardt
Hi Robin...let the web page expire at about the same time as my business. Am off to work for a "larger" company that was a large customer, at least for a while. Got sick of being a tax collector and book keeper...both of which I wasn't particularly good at. Seemed to spend all my time doing everything but signs...I think we all know and do that part of business. After a while it all sort of burns you out.
Roderick
Most tool stores sell "drum Sanding Kits"for 20.00+-.It has 4-5 sizes,1/4" to 2" The drum goes on a drill.(I saw a guy doing turning at ricks once and he had a very small cordless drill).Put a little cotton ball on the top and cover with velvet.

Roderick
Robin Sharrard
I already have a set and did not consider this until you mentioned it. I will give it a try...Thanks...Robin
Robin Sharrard
Kristie Percell contacted me this morning about these items. Seems they have two styles...solid and hollow. I guess there is a foam ball that goes up inside the hollow spin-its. What style do you have. I have quite a few suggestions to pursue and figure out what I like best. Thanks...Robin