Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Fall Season in the Tetons

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Fall Season in the Tetons

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Mike Jackson

Raymond Chapman came up to Jackson Hole "a long, long, long time ago" (about 15 years) and did some work with us. He threatens to come back up every year, and I thought this was going to be the year. Unfortunately, he had to cancel again. I reinforce the word "unfortunately" because it is and was one of the best fall seasons Darla and I have had since we moved here in 1986. Normally the aspens turn first and have pretty much blown off by the time the cottonwoods turn. This year, they both went at the same time creating some absolutely beautiful photo opportunities. I took Corey out last Saturday for a morning photo shoot and got quite a few really nice shots. If interested, click on the link below and check out an additional photo I digitally watercolored.

Well Raymond, maybe next year! When he was here last time, he shot close to 19 rolls of film. With the digital cameras, we now count how many hard drives it takes to store the shots.

Other than the connection to Raymond Chapman, this post doesn't have much to do with hand lettering, but I hope you enjoy the photos none the less.

Additional Photos on this page:
http://www.goldenstudios.com/family/fall2003.htm

Mike Jackson
Kent Smith
Looks like you had a better aspen season than we did, most just fell off too soon. Snow this morning on Independence and Trail Ridge (where I have to go this week) so typical of Colorado, no fall just jump into winter. May have a break or two but not the nice even transitions especially up at the cabin. Nice photos, I will send a note to Sebille to look in, she would get a kick out of that since she enjoyed her visit there with us which was 1986 I think.
Harry Malicoat
The pictures are gorgeous, Mike. It was beautiful a month ago, looks even more colorful now. We were so pushed for time when we were there (so much to see and so little time)that I didn't catch you when I was there. I called once and didn't get anyone (and of course planned to call back later). Sorry I missed getting to stop and say HI. All the new signs in town look wonderful. I am glad to see that you may have sold the business (in 95) but are still quite active in the sign world of Jackson.
For anyone who hasn't been to Jackson Hole, Wyoming, it is great eye candy (both the town and the signage.
Raymond Chapman
Since Mike mentioned me coming up to work with them (and it was twice, Mike) I thought you would like to hear how it came about.

Mike and Darla were going through ". Month" in which everyone wanted their signs before the tourist season started. They were snowed under and began to call some folks to come help out. Butch Anton, Noel Weber, and probably a bunch more made the trip to help lighten the load.

Mike called and asked if I could come up for a few days. He told me about all the beautiful scenery and the perfect climate and the usual Chamber of Commerce stuff. I finally got around to asking, "Well, Mike, how much money are we talking about?". He said, "I was thinking about $20 an hour."

That sounded like a lot of money to me, but I went ahead and paid it.
Raymond Chapman
Go ahead, Jackson. Rub it in!

Needless to say, the year that we were really going to come turns out to be the best fall yet. We had some nickels put back and had hoped to cash in some frequent flyer miles, but the slow economy (and just some bad business practices on my part)ate up all the nickels. Maybe next year. Sometime while I still have the eyesight and the legs to carry me, I will make it.

The digital camera and a laptop with lots of memory are ready to go.

What a beautiful country Mike and Darla live in. Every where you look is another post card. Yep, all those rolls of film took a bundle to develop, and they come out of the box every now and then just to contemplate the "old days".

One of my home projects is to paint a mural on the wall in a spare bedroom. And, of course, it will be of the Tetons. That photo looks like it would really be nice for a wall mural. Got any more that would make a good mural, Mike? Now, isn't that a dumb question?

Thanks for sharing Mike. I went to your family page yesterday afternoon and caught up on the sights. The boys and Darla are still looking great. Have you ever noticed that Darla always looks the same and Mike keeps getting older?

And also - Thanks Mike for moderating this site and keeping it available for all of us.
Mike Jackson

Raymond,
Since you asked, I added a few more photos to the page just now. You will probably get a kick out of seeing me in my official fishing SWAT team outfit. (everything a person might need, tightly packed into a vest and small boat)

http://www.goldenstudios.com/family/fall2003.htm

Mike