Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Look what you started

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Look what you started

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Dan Sawatzky on September 23, 2003
I just returned from a Letterhead meet in Nanaimo, B.C. The meet was small by some standards... around 60 sign folks. But what a great time!

I'm sure there were none of the 'original' Letterehads there. But who would have thought so many years later the sharing they started would still continue.

A movement to revive old skills and pass them on to the next generation continues to grow - all over the world.

At the Splash in the Pacific Meet there was lots to be learned. Folks were guilding, hand lettering, carving, painting, sculpting, window splashing, pinstriping and just about anything else you could think of during the three day event. There were old timers and newbies side by side, working to improve their skills.

It was great!

Thanks to those that started this great thing we call Letterheads, and thanks to all who continue to keep that same spirit alive and well!

-dan

Mike Jackson
Hi Dan,
Sounds like you had a great time at Nanaimo.

If asked the original "founders" about the Letterheads movement. They are all surprised, though they were all very instrumental in helping take it to the next level 20 years ago. They gave seminars, held large meetings, and gave it some direction. In other words, they started the grass roots of it after hours at each other's shops, and in the bars, then helped mold it into what you see today as it grew.

They did that a long time ago--back before they had larger families and other life responsibilities--back when they were eager to learn and share. Some of them aren't in the sign industry anymore and some are emmersed in their businesses. I saw Mark Oatis and Noel Weber at David Butler's workshop in Denver last summer. They use the computer as a tool, but seem more interested in staying off it than on it.

I don't think the fact the original Letterhead founders are missing from today's meetings is an indication they don't care about Letterheads. I think they have other priorities now.

Judging from what I see in the follow up meeting photos, the movement is still in good hands. The newer crop of artists and craftsmen have it well under control and full of the original spirit.

Mike Jackson

D. Bernhardt
As they say in the Canadian parliment....HERE HERE!!or maybe HEAR HEAR!!...the emphasis is right whatever the spelling!