Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Tips of the week

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Tips of the week

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Danny Baronian on September 19, 2003
Ok, since Mike's shaking the tree, here are a couple of tips some may find useful.

When I did a lot of wood working one of my favorite fillers was a powder you mixed with water. The putty is called Durham's Rock Hard water putty.

I had a hole I needed to fill on a nearly completed panel that had been coated out with acrylic latex paint. Not wanting to use regular putty then have to go through the steps of covering the patch I thought of Durham's , and for the first time in years read the directions: "can be mixed with any Latex or vinyl stain, or latex paint." Mixed the putty with latex paint, filled the hole, and with little touch up blended in perfectly.

A word of caution, it dries like the can says - rock hard, and can be very hard to sand. Apply sparingly so sanding is kept at a minimum.

Another product that just came out for the kitchen is now in my shop. Glad (as in Glad Wrap) makes something similar to saran wrap. With this material you put it over a container of paint, run your finger around the rim and it makes a water tight / airtight seal.

Taking the material by itself and sticking it to a flat surface also adheres well, and may serve as a temporary mask. Seems to leave no residue after removal.

Now, does anyone know of a liquid mask / frisket? I have a small bottle of frisket Rick gave me - Miskit by Grumbacher - but it dries real fast. If you know of anything better, please post it here.

Danny

John Yarnell
Hi Danny the stuff I have used in the past is Winsor & Newton Art Masking Fluid. You can pick it up at almost any art supply store.
D. Bernhardt
Hey Dan...isn't it amazing the stuff we forget! As to the frisket....what the heck are we thinking....this is old stuff and have /would never dream of going anywhere other than an art store/shop. All sorts of manufacturers make this and am gonna go out on a limb and say you could probably get the quart version(as the old stand-by) rubber cement! As the Boss proved...little is new and undiscovered...shellac as an example it all just needs to be amalgamated. He had large numbers of books in his colection that were actually "artist and materials" books. They made terrific reading.

Danny Baronian
Hey Doug,

Your right. I had almost forgotten that putty. For certain applications it works very well.

I was thinking about rubber cement, have a quart of it on the shelf. Now I'll have to give it a try.

Another method for masking was described by John Studden. John uses a clear static cling film, that way you can place the cut mask acurately. While it won't fit the specific need I have, it does a good job.

Danny
Doug again
Hi again Dan...yuppers, have seen Studdley use that method but for a guy without technology (like me) it's a non-starter...unless someone can think of a way it may work without the use of a computer??(he shrugs)?
Carol
Danny,
Spraylat used to make a liquid mask that I've used on vehicles. A couple of coats and then you can cut with a NEW blade, peal, then spray or roll paint. It's blue. I still lhave some, so haven't ordered new for years. If this is what you're looking for, here's my tip: run tape around the edge of area to be masked off and roll the Spraylat up on the tape so that when it dries you will have something to grab when removing.
Rick Sacks
On a movie I once worked on, the owners of a railroad wanted the crappy old paint on the coaches to remain, even though Paramount was willing to foot the expense of a new paint job. Well, the studio needed a different color, so along came a truckload of 55 gallon drums of Spraylat. They coated the train, painted it and stripped the windows. When the movie was done, the strike crew hit it with a pressure washer giving back the same paint as original, only clean!
John Grenier
Spraylat works very good for Motorcyle Tanks. For examlple a flame job job you always see people use a zillion pieces of masking tape to cover everthing. Spraylat dries fast under a lamp and is ready to cut in a few minutes. Using tape for the edges is a good tip because it gets thin at the edge and you have difficulty peeling it up. I used to keep a little roller (those red plastic handle ones 3" wide) in the 1/2 empty can and roll two coats on some times three so it is thicker for easy peeling.
Another product is that latex carpet backing you can get it at HomeDepot. But it isn't as translucent as spraylat.
Danny Baronian
Ops,

The name of the Glad product is Press 'n Seal.

Danny