Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Signs in Movies

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Signs in Movies

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Alf Toy on September 14, 2003
What movies do you suggest for good period signage. One I thought was good was League of their Own, also 1941.
D. Bernhardt
A favourite of mine was actually the PBS program Jazz by Ken Burns. All that historical footage of bars and night-clubs....and real eye candy if you're into glass work.
Karen Sartain
Check out the movie 'Seabiscuit'...seems like there's a sign in every scene, takes place in the 30's. Great movie too :)
Danny Busselle
I am not sure just what your asking, but Here Goes. The Most Signs In a Movie is ONE FROM THE HEART Frances Ford Copola and various Periods it was the Complete scale Model Of every Sign In Vagas North South East And West, Next was My Fair Lady MGM and # 3 is Blade Runner WB BR used all signs from Mavrick AND ONE from Heart. Hope This Helps You.
Rick Sacks
What period?
Alf Toy
Probably 40s, 50s, 60s.
Rick Sacks
Rural or urban?
One of the more rural movies that I did with a 40's vintage was Racing with the Moon, or Summer of 42.
Robare M. Novou
I always liked "Its a Wonderful Life" with james stewart. Its not turn of the century stuff, its just before world war II but still has some old techniques to it. It has a lot of different types of signs.
Bob
Alf,
I always liked Tombstone with Val Kilmer.
As a matter of fact there is a sign shop in the movie.
At the gun fight at OK corral , when the camera shows the Cowboys just before they all start shooting look above the Cowboys heads, it says, Sign Company! Bob