Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glawson's SHELLAC processes(and other stuff) added 10-26-03

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Glawson's SHELLAC processes(and other stuff) added 10-26-03

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on October 26, 2003
Hello fellow Keepers of the Craft,
Larry White compiled and typed up an obscure document Rick Glawson wrote at one point on shellac. Lacking that book he never published, the site has been compiling and storing as much of his written documenation as possible. I added the Shellac information today. To find the Shellac page, go to the link below and then navigate to the Rick Glawson Pages. It will be in the list of other Glawson informational pages.

If you go to the Original Letterheads Web Site main page, linked below, you will see two new additions under the Features heading. I added a "Rawson & Evans" link and a "Photo Galleries" page today. The first Photo Gallery consists of photos from Open Range and Lonesome Dove movie sets. I will try to add others over a period of time. The Rawson & Evans page is currently blank, but at least you can see I have good intentions for future expansion. I will probably add a section showing a few of the United Cigar examples and create a permanent download place for the vector file. I probably have 30 or more photos of Rawson and Evans photos, but am lacking on much specific historical information.

Also, I added Letterhead Sign Supply at the bottom of the Left Navigation Bar as a site supporter.

Enjoy! (Thanks to Larry White for taking the time to type the Shellac page. I just copied and pasted it into the new page...so if there are any mis-spellings we can shoot him!)

http://www.theletterheads.com/index.html

Mike
Lee Littlewood
A big THANK YOU to Larry and Mike for the shellac write up. Very good stuff, and not quite as loopy as theBoss but still has the flavor ("There is no value in this result other than to illustrate a point"...)
I know a frame & furniture gilder who practically bathes in shellac she likes it so much, but her techniques are so different from ours I've never seen the advantages. Your article is in 'sign-speak' so I can see how to apply the ideas. Great stuff