Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Question on "Mirror Finish"

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Question on "Mirror Finish"

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Catharine C. Kennedy on October 26, 2003
The thread on Krylon's "Mirror Finish" sounded interesting so I tracked a can of it down. I painted some words in reverse with one-shot & sprayed on the Mirror Finish. The finish is truly a mirror, but the paint on the letters puckered up. Why? Incompatible paints? How do I get around this on future signs?
Thanks-
Danny Baronian
Cathleen, without more information, I can only guess what's happening. From my experience with Krylon, treat it like lacquer. Krylon contains keytones, toluene, xylene, and acetates, most of which will dissolve or react to oil based paints. I would assume the mirror finish is similar.

You have painted your letters with an oil base, then oversprayed with a lacquer base, which in turn reacts with the oil based paint, loosening and lifting - or texturing - the lettering.

After reading Mike Jackson's recent addition to the green page, if you want to lay the lettering down first, do so, allowing sufficient dry time, then overspray the entire glass with shellac. You then have a clear barrier to protect the lettering.

Danny's suggestion to lay down the mirror first over the glass with applied masked letters, followed by clear would allow you to use the one shot over the mirror without compatibility problems.

As with any project when using material for the first time, make a small test piece.

Danny
Danny Busselle
Well Catharine you start by cutting a mask, for the Letttering. Now Spray your silver, let Dry Spray the Clear they give you. Now wait til its Dry. Then Remove Lettering Mask, Note the clean edges make sure that nothing lifted. Start Lettering keep the lettering on edge of silver if it goes over onto silver wipe it off un-less your looking for a special effect like a shade which looks pretty Trick anyway I move off the track. Please Let us all know how well it turn out .Thanks Danny