Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Long on Varnish 2?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Long on Varnish 2?

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Robare M. Novou on October 23, 2003
Sorry about that first post, I hit some button on the keyboard and it sent the post off before I could add the message.

Anyway...I have been trying to understand what to look for in a window spar varnish in using as a final protective coating on window gilding.

I am able to locate spar varnish that is 20 years old, unopened in the original gallon can, the ingredients are listed as "soya alkyd resin" at 50% with mineral spirits and driers the other 50%.

Are these the ingredients to look for or should I be looking for something else.
Kent Smith
Not the same ingredients any more although some are called "allkyd" they are synthesized. Check with Letterhead Sign Supply.

Darryl Gomes
I have used Commonwealth Window Spar from Esoteric in the past. It brushes well and dries fast. I'm not sure of availability now since Rick's passing.