Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Photographic Etching in 1896

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Photographic Etching in 1896

Post by Site Man »

OLD GORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on November 09, 2003

Rawson and Evans also developed a way of photographic etching in glass in 1896. The note and preceeding page says a patent had been applied for, but I don't see it in the patent list (yet?) Perhaps Robare missed it when he was researching Rawson & Evans patents, or maybe it was rejected by the Patent Office?

With a loupe, I was able to read the little panel tonight. It says they had developed a way of including a photographic image, etched into the glass. It also demonstrated that a hand written note by Samuel Evans could also be included. The photo is of Samuel.

Mike Jackson

Ron Percell
They couldn't patent the process due to the fact that the process was already being used in other industries. I'm working on perfecting the process for myself currently and will share it at our next meet.

Robare M. Novou
Well now...I remember looking at that page in the catalog and seeing that he, Samuel Evans, mentioned applying for a patent. This was after I had done my inital patent searchs years before.

I will have to look this up also to let you know for sure. since my first search efforts of many moons ago, I have aquired a list of additional patent #'s and processes that I have to look up.
Not all R&E.

Thank God the Milwaukee Public Library is just Down the Road.

If anyone out there needs me to look up a number...nows the time to let me know, just post it with the rest. Usually a name or a process will get me in the ball park, There is an annual index published that lists patents by the persons name. So if you have a year in mind or a time frame...that would also help.

Now if I can just find my library card...
RMN