Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Pattern Glue Chip

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Pattern Glue Chip

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Larry White on November 03, 2003

I did an experiment of placing 6" x 3" ovals cut out of craft paper and placing them in the wet glue, overlapping slightly and offsetting each row a bit. After the glue was dry, and in my chipping booth, just as it started to chip, I tapped each open area between the paper with my x-acto knife. That started the chipping in a "snail" sort of pattern but then the glass chipped in big waves where the paper was. The finished piece had a kelp forest look to it.

...on to the next thing...

-Larry White
Raymond Chapman
A few weeks ago when we were at David Butler's workshop in Arlington, we all went to eat at Bennigan's and there was some thick glass (1.5" thick) at the entrance that had huge chunks of glass chipped out similar to this. Now I know how they did it. The glass was probably about 3' x 7' with huge waves of chipping. The top of this divider glass looked like it had been trimmed with a hammer and then fired to smooth the sharp edges. It was very dramatic looking.
D. Bernhardt
Hey Ray!!...this i gotta see...3'x7'is huge,especially if the chips are that dramatic...got a digital camera, or are you like all the rest of the old tymers and think technology has no place in photography as well as signs! ;=)
Till later Him
Bob Gilliland

Picturing Ray without a camera is like a day without the influence of sunshine; it just isn’t going to happen (whether we actually see it or not)! That being said, I have it on good authority that even thought the complete camera bag made the trip inside the restaurant (and almost not back out), the camera itself never ventured out of said bag the entire time there.
Raymond Chapman
Bob, whose camera is that...it's not mine.

Bob came to my rescue when we left Bennigan's. I had taken my camera bag inside with the intention of taking a shot of the whole class sitting together at the restaurant. I got sidetracked with eating and never took a picture. I also walked out of the place without my camera! Luckily, Bob was taking care of me and picked up the bag. Us old folks have to have a keeper along where ever we go!

Bennigan's always has some neat looking signs on the walls.
Tony Segale
very nice effect, Larry. will have to get your way in the very near future, I'm not complaining but the phone won't stop ringing, so maybe I can budget my time better since I'm gettin so busy vs slow time allowances.
I can see where that effect would come in quite handy, vertically or on the horizontal formats.
Mike Jackson
Hi Larry,
Nice effect! Just out of curiosity, do you notice any difference in chipping in the Winter vs Summer? We gave generally year round low humidity, but I'd think you have quite a bit of seasonal variations.

Mike Jackson
Larry White
I have pretty consistant results when I chip in my booth (very similiar to Rick's). Seasonal temperature and humidity seems to effect the drying time, but once it's good and dry, it typically chips fine in the warm circulating booth.

-LW