Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

I've Waited Long Enough! (Angel Gild / tinning)

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

I've Waited Long Enough! (Angel Gild / tinning)

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Robare M. Novou on March 02, 2004
I waited long enough for someone to read something in the 1934 Felix Andres patent.

Its been overlooked or its been posted and I overlooked it. Either way, I'll just post this finding and see what you all think. The patent reads....

"After sufficient deposit is obtained on the surface, a thin coat of tin chloride solution is applied, and preferably a chamois skin is used to dry up the surface."

So, in bringing this matter to the forum...I'm curious as to why would one apply tin solution to the glass, gild or silver over that, and then apply another coat of tin solution on top of the gild or silver.

Now I've heard of sizing the back of your glass leaf gilding and letting that dry, to create a barrier between the gold leaf and the backup paint, thus preventing the penetration of oil based backup paint through the gold leaf.

So would that be the reason for the extra coat of tin onto the gold in solution gilding?

I had to ask!

RMN
Danny Baronian
I assume your referring to what was then called gold tinning. Andres instructions may have been the procedure of the day, but today the glass is throughly washed and rinsed and tinned with stannous chloride. Stannous chloride - used to do the tinning - is a sensitizing agent which allows the gold or silver to adhere to the glass.

After tinning gold chloride is applied. Following a sufficient deposit, the glass is rinsed and then silvered. With gold, the deposit is thin and transparent. Silvering over the gold serves to deepen the gold and to protect the back. If you apply gold chloride alone and wipe across the surface, the gold will easily wipe off.

With gold or silver, only the initial tinning is required. Once the final silver has been applied either over gold or silver by itself, you have to use silver strip to remove it.

Danny

Mike Jackson
Robare,
You are probably one of only a half dozen people who have ever actually read Andres' patent.

I'd suggest part of the reason was to prepare the surface for the mirror solution. I have no idea why he would use a chamois in the process. Did he pour mirroring solutions after he did the gold?

It sounds like he let the tin solution dry on the back of the gold, which is something I have been told not to do if silvering over the back.

Mike
Robar M. Novou
Yes, the tin solution was poured on over the gold and dryed after the gold had been layed down on to the tinned glass. I didn't include the previous paragraph to the one I posted, as I thought that you may have opened up the book and read those parts of the 1934 patent that I refered to.

So are we missing a step in our solution gilding ways?
Who wants to be the test subject on this one?

RMN
Mike Jackson - Just give me the keys
Robare,
Looks like you might have to be the candidate test subject! I don't want to invent or solve Angel Gilding...nor do I want to build a car. I just want to buy the car and get the keys to it so I can get where I need to go. Respectfully speaking, you are the one selling the book! I thought Angel Gilding was working right now?

I skimmed over your book, and knew right away I didn't want to melt down gold coins with acid to get the solution. Glad to know Sarah is willing to do that!

Mike

Robare M. Novou
Angel Gilding is working fine for the most part.

I just wondered if what I read in the patent was a typo or what? And seeing how we have all been disecting patents the past few months...I thought someone else might had seen this step of the process. Its not at the beginning of the patent, but near the end in his claim section.

Some things we may never know. And yes, if I get the time I will give it a try and see what transpires.

RMN
Mike Jackson - Tinning Concentrate
I have been feeling like the tin solution has been one of the "iffy" variables when doing Angel Gilding. Rick used to include a small bottle of Stannus Chloride crystals and a popsicle stick with about 1/4" died with purple paint on the end. You would dip that stick into the crystals and pour it into something like 10 oz of water. (I don't remember the exact amout of water right off the top of my head).

Here's the problem...I bought several kits from him over the years and none of them had the same amount of purple paint on the stick. You never really knew whether pile on as much powder as you could, or just cover the dye. Depending on the amount of dye on the stick and how well you loaded it, I figure it is possible to get either half as much or twice as much powder on one batch to the next.

Sarah sent a small bottle of tinning solution concentrate with my kit. I say "small" because I used it up pretty quick, knowing I made new tinning solution each day I tried Angel Gilding. I liked the solution because the instructions say to mix 10 ML to 10 OZ of water. I can mix either of those two amounts quite accurately from batch to batch.

I ordered a pint of Peacock's H-41 sensitizing solution a coupl of weeks ago to replace the empty bottle from the original kit. The pint of solution was $50. When my Visa bill came in, I see it cost me another $40 for hazardous shipping fees. OUCH! According to the specs, it has a shelf life of a year (I don't know how long it has already been on their shelf). At 10 ML per 10 OZ of water, I have plenty for a long time.
Robare M. Novou
Well now, Im not asking you if you want to solve the mysteries of the universe...Im just making reference to something I read in the patent. I was puzzled by this twist on tinning the back of already solution gilded glass. So I thought that some of this sites readers would also have caught this twist and wondered about it or had done it to see what results from doing so.

Also...one of the mistakes I constantly make..is not letting my freshly mixed gold solutions age for one hour or more, as stated in some of the patents,formulas, and ricks instructions....without letting it age or mature...I end up with a bad gild, regardless of the tinning concentration.

Has this happen to you?

RMN
Danny Baronian
I have seen no mention of double tinning outside your reference to Andres, and would skip that.

A number of people are still trying to pin down the tinning solution strength. One mirroring book calls for super sensitizing the glass. Based on that I think Rick's purple popsicle stick produced too weak a solution to super sensitize for gold, but I'm not positive.

Watching Dave Smith at the Conclave, his method is from experience, watching the results and adjusting accordingly. He used more than Rick's one popsicle stick worth.

Regarding waiting after mixing the gold chloride into a working solution, I think that applies to mixing the raw materials rather than mixing what was in Rick's kit. In the kit distilled water was added to his gold chloride solution.

If you want to be on the safe side but not wait several hours or over night, the solution can be placed in a microwave and zapped for 10 second bursts, or placed in a hot water bath. All you want to do is warm it slightly, not boil it.

Danny

Sarah King
I tinned the gold by accident once and, as I recall, it went from brilliant to matte. Might be an interesting thing to do on purpose - I'll have to try it again. Tin will tarnish the silver. Anyway Andres was more interested in explaining his spray device than in the gold. You'd think a person would proof-read his patent before sending it in but Andres sentence there reads like a typo. Maybe he meant to write silver instead of tin.
Sarah King
Danny - I think one of the other differnces about the way Dave mixes and uses the tin is that he takes the tinned glass outside and blasts it with a hose. Put more on - take more off. It all depends on what kind of drain and hose you have. No one could say that his method doesn't work given his results.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Have been having a ball reading some of the old posts....boy, there is a ton of great info here. I'm wondering, also, that if Robare's question was resolved. I have doubled tinned in the past with the "matt" or just a plain crappy gild resulting.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Hey Doug,

Nice to see your finding your way to the computer more often, and I'd agree, it's nice reading these old posts.

I would have thought you and Dave Smith would have discussed the tinning issue throughly and that you could have enlightened us..

In talking with Dave at last years meet he explained that if you viewed the glass microscopically it would like steep mountain peaks. When you scrub the glass and rinse it's not just the surface your cleaning, but the microscopic 'valleys'.

After cleaning, the tin is applied, allowed to sit for 30 - 60 seconds and forcefully rinsed off. I wondered, as stated in this post, that it seems your actually removing the tin. Not so, a very thin film of tin is deposited chemically to the glass in the valleys. I got the impression you actually have to use stripper to remove the tin.

The gold in turn binds itself to the tin. I have found if the tin hasn't been rinsed well, ie the presence of too much tin, the gold will lift.

I'm sure Dave, Sarah or Mike (Sarah's husband) could jump in a provide a better description. Until then, I hope this helps.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi again,
I don't think we photographed Rick thoroughly cleaning the glass, but you do get to see him tin and rinse the glass. It was just one of the steps, but he didn't dwell on it, at least when we filmed these clips. As I indicated in the earlier responses, it does seem to be an important step, but from what I can tell, it wasn't necessary to re-tin the glass unless you accidentally (or otherwise) let the gold deposit dry. That might be the missing tidbit here in Andres' notes. Rick, and the rest of our experiences, told us to immediately silver the glass once the gold was rinsed. You can keep the glass wet with distilled water, if you need the extra time for whatever reason.

Here are the links to the three video clips:

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... lpour.html

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... spray.html

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/g ... creen.html

I need to place permanent links to these videos clips on Rick's pages.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

It is wonderful to read the old posts. Since all that was written, I tried drying the tinned glass on purpose and I found out that you can silver pretty well over dried tin but the gold won't deposit at all. Good old silver - so untemperamental.

The other thing about Robare's note from Andres is the chamois. The old timers used to "leather" the silver every time. It not only dries the mirror without water spots removes the "sludge" which can, over time, start to eat into the deposit and shorten the life of the mirror. I think that with so many different silver formulas around, "sludge" used to be a bigger problem than it is now.

Thanks, site man, for all the republishing - it's great.
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com