Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Design Critique

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Wayne Webb

Design Critique

Post by Wayne Webb »

Hello all,
I sure could use some feedback on this design. It would be a concrete block structure covered with cultured stone. There would be a sandblasted HDU panel, Carved HDU letters with a fade. The secondary copy would be gilded and the 3D "gears" would be router-carved and gilded.
The monument would be about 15' x 7'.

Thanks for the help
Wayne
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (28.22 KiB) Viewed 5693 times
Kent Smith

Re: Design Critique

Post by Kent Smith »

Overall effect is nice but I must be too far away as I cannot make out the secondary copy from here.
Wayne Webb

Post by Wayne Webb »

Thanks Ken,
The finished monument would be about 15' 4" long so in order to shrink it down enough, the secondary copy looks pixelated. Ir would really be about 3.5 to 4" high and would only need to be read as the customer pulls into the driveway. THe "S" in "Signworks" would be about 23"
Thanks
Wayne Webb

Post by Wayne Webb »

It says "signs work for your business"

What do you think?
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

My point was that while I understand one being able to read the secondary copy while close, your message is important to set you apart from the rest of us. At 4" in gold it should be readable at 30 feet but I would like to see it have more impact at say 100 feet. I guess it depends upon traffic and its speed. Just my opinion though.
Wayne Webb

Post by Wayne Webb »

Thanks Ken,

There'a enough negative space there. I'll try putting it on two lines and increasing the size, when I get back to work Monday. I appreciate the help.
cam bortz

Post by cam bortz »

My first glance impression is that while the main copy has enough contrast with the blue background, where it overlaps on the stone there is much less. Could be a source of readability problems, depending how fast traffic moves and how much visual competition it has to deal with.

My thought for the tagline: "Signs That Work"
Mark Summers

Post by Mark Summers »

Cam has a point with the main copy 'Signworks'. I think a black outline
would fix it though. "Signs That Work", great tagline, I'd run with it.

Mark
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

After looking at this design a few times, I feel that the shape of the blue panel is wrong for the shape of the structure. Its panel is too vertical. Try using a shape that is more horizontal. As Cam stated, the contrast between the structure and the lettering is too similar. Try keeping the Lettering inside a revised horizontal blue panel.

By making the panel more horizontal you will also be able to increase the size of your tag line.

By doing a few more layouts, you may find a combination that works.

Sometimes you have to walk away from your layouts and come back to them a day or so later.

By looking at them again with fresh eyes, you may see something you did not see before.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
vance galliher

Post by vance galliher »

I have the perfect resolve........as Mark suggested, add a heavy outline.....then cut the bottom of your main panel following the outline. That's the main sign panel. Under that main panel add another panel for your tag line, a panel as long as the first stage of stone. See how that might look
vance
dimensional and glass art signs
http://www.vancegallihersigns.com