Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Mica Magaritas

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bill DeBekker

Mica Magaritas

Post by Bill DeBekker »

First you start with 10 pounds of raw Mica..

Shave off manageable chunks and put in blender (Purchased at goodwill for $1.50) Blend for 45 seconds on High.

Sift through 1/4 mesh Mica Bucket (aka old Deep fryer basket) Add larger chunks and re-blend

Sift what passed through 1/4 inch Mica Bucket through 1/8 inch Mica Bucket (aka wife's colander) Pour 1/4 inch Mica into Container that you have marked 1/4 mica.. (aka Sour cream or soup container.)

Sift what passed through 1/8 inch colander through Mesh colander. (And you guessed it $1.25 at the dollar store :) ) Pour what remains in Mesh basket in storage container marked 1/8 inch mica and what passed through the mesh colander in a container marked Mica Powder. (See above)

Now you have 3 sizes of mica.. the 1/4 and 1/8 inch for a coarse or fine texture used in Mica-acid embossing glass with Hydrofluoric Acid (do not try without adult supervision and proper safety equipment.. More on this at later time)

And Mica Powder for sparkly reverse glass effects and or surface gilding of Mica dimensional letters.

10 pounds Raw Mica $1.00
Used Blender. $1.50
Misc. Baskets and Mixing bowls $3.00

Having control over the quality of materials needed for Acid embossing. Priceless.
Anthony Bennett

Re: Mica Magaritas

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Amazing Bill, Thanks for posting.

Where do you get raw mica from please?
Bill DeBekker

Post by Bill DeBekker »

I get from a local quartz quarry I do signs for.. I would check with any local quarry or Rock/landscape supplier.
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

Thanks Bill.
Just one more question if I may.
I take it coloured mica powders are a piece of ground mica with coloured pigmenty added?
Bill DeBekker

Post by Bill DeBekker »

Actually Anthony,, I have no clue how they color it. Possibly dye or stain it. I know they use it alot in makeup so I guess they add coloring to the powder to tint.
Ingrid Mager

Post by Ingrid Mager »

Very cool, figuring out how to flake it off ! I love do-it-yourself!

Q: Is there any other advantage to this over sifting the pre-packaged stuff other than the obvious gratification of doing it yourself...and cost? I mean do you get bigger flakes or anything else of merit???

You are using a paint scraper to get chunks of it off, is that correct?
Thanks,
Inga
Bill DeBekker

Post by Bill DeBekker »

Ingrid,
This was more of an experiment of "can I grind my own Mica" then "should I grind my own mica" when comparing time spent vs cost of pre-package mica.. You're probably ahead just buying it in large quantities. All I could find locally was little 4oz bottles for $6.

After talking with Mr. White I decided to try my own. By sifting it to different sizes you can get different textures in your embossing. ( I will be doing a test piece with the textures. to actually see. ) This has all been academic for me as I haven't cracked open a bottle of HF yet and actually done it.

As for the Mica. I separate it using a razor wall paper scraper.. That piece in the photo is just one solid chunk of Mica but is all layered, there is no "rock" in that so I can "slice" off a thin piece and use it like Abalone for a different effect. Which is Nice for the tourist signs. "Made with real Colorado Mica" :roll:

Now for my next experiment. I will be gold panning my own gold to hand beat my own leaf. (Yea Right, That's gonna happen) :mrgreen:
oatis

Post by oatis »

Bill:

I believe I understand the process so far, but when do you add the tequila?

Mark
Bill DeBekker

Post by Bill DeBekker »

ohh sorry I meant to say these were virgin margaritas..

But you can add a shot or two or 5 10 minutes before using any power tools that have a danger rating above 7. Makes it more challenging. :mrgreen: