Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Painting Embossed Metal Letters

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Aron Wiechman

Painting Embossed Metal Letters

Post by Aron Wiechman »

Hello,

I was hoping to get some help/information from some of you experts out there. I am completely new to this, and am interested in learning more about how to hand paint embossed lettering, usually on old metal antique items such as Coca Cola machines, etc where the lettering is embossed in the metal and needs to be hand painted when an antique item like this is restored. I am hoping to learn about paints, brushes, techniques, etc from a beginner's perspective. Can anybody recommend any books, videos, or other resources that would be helpful in getting started in this specific area? I've seen lots of books on pinstriping, but they haven't really addressed lettering specifically, especially on embossed metal letters. Any help or direction you can give me would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Re: Painting Embossed Metal Letters

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Aron,
The original signs were likely done with a silk screen. I've hand lettered quite a few of them. Really, there isn't anything different than lettering over a pounce pattern on a flat surface. The brush skills are exactly the same. You'll probably have to double coat most signs needing white lettering. Depending on the size, you'll be using a quill lettering brush and lettering enamels.

If you are brand new to hand lettering, I'd suggest checking out YouTube videos on hand lettering. Even better, find an upcoming Letterheads meeting and go to it. Nothing beats watching a good hand letter working on a project. There are several links to hand lettering techniques on the tab at the top of this forum. Click "The Letterheads Site". Click the link: Lettering Basics and then check out all three pages. http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/lettering.html

Feel free to ask specific questions here.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons