Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Biker piece

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jerry Berg

Biker piece

Post by Jerry Berg »

This is just a smaller piece I did for one of the club members. He wanted lots of MOP after looking
at some of my other pieces. It's backed up with the club colors as they are on thier jackets.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (54.02 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (55 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
3.JPG
3.JPG (60.05 KiB) Viewed 3902 times
Lee Littlewood

Re: Biker piece

Post by Lee Littlewood »

W A A Y cool Jerry. Love that shell.
It is hard to get good pix of glass stuff, The light meter has a hard time deciding when ther is a lot of relctive metal, and the auto-focus seems to prefer to use the reflection, not the glass. I have tons of pictures of a reflected me, in crisp focus, on top of a fuzzy image of the sign I wanted. Maybe Mike Jackson has some hints???
where am i? Now, when i need me...
bob gamache

Post by bob gamache »

Nice piece Jerry
Bob Gamache
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

GoldRushSign_Jan11.jpg
GoldRushSign_Jan11.jpg (135.37 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
Lee and all,
To photograph glass and gold, the main thing to remember is the mirror like reflective quality of both. If you and other junk are in front of the glass, you'll likely get those reflections. It helps to photograph with the aid of a tripod.

I shot this image still hanging on the wall while I sat in a chair, shooting slightly up. The ceiling is white. Because I was slightly below and slightly off to the side, the image was keystoned and distorted. I used the perspective crop tool in Photoshop and squared it back up.

Sometimes I hang either a white or amber colored sheet behind me. That gives a solid, consistent reflection. It is easy to look through the viewfinder and locate reflections and distractions. A little shifting up or down or left or right will usually eliminate them. The same concept works in the field. Just have a couple of people hold a sheet up behind you.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons